Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I called the shop today and spoke to the manager,

I was polite and I told him how unhappy I was, I said I understood I didn't pay $5,000 for a paint job but think I should have gotten a better quality job. They should have not have stripped the sides if they wernt going to bring them back to a resonable level. I also noted on the reciept he put the paint work on the car was $1000 and the body work was $500, this wasn't what I asked for or agreed to I wanted their $500 paint job so he covered himself on the paper work no way I would pay a maaco $1000 to paint a car in a single stage paint and no he didn't spray the door jams.

He basically blew me off, his position is they block sanded the car 5 times to get the waves out and they can't spend anymore time on the car. I should be happy they did that good of a job for that price, they would not fix the sides of the car nor will they sand off the paint from the car.

Now me I would gladly have removed my paint from a customers car if it looked that bad because I would never want my name connected to somthing someone isn't happy with.

I for 1 don't think the car was blocked sanded if you could see how wavey the paint is there is no way the car was block sanded.

So at this point I'm stuck with a bad paint job

I hate to complain so I will let my wife write a letter to their home office and we will see what they say

·
Registered
337 Posts
bad paint

show us pictures. I agree for 1500 there is no way they blocked the car 5 times. maybe with a d/a sander but noway by hand

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hate to hear about the problems you are having! The only problem is that a Maaco paint job is a Maaco paint job!Sound like you may have to chalk this one up as one of those life lessons.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
ADVERTISE! ADVERTISE! ADVERTISE!

I WOULD MAKE A LARGE SIGN THAT SAYS "I GOT THIS CRAPPY PAINT JOB AT THE MACCO SHOP LOCATED AT ( YOU FILL IN tHE ADDRESS) AND FIND A PLACE CLOSE TO THE MACCO STORE TO LET IT SIT FOR A WEEKEND.:D:D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Another option.

Might also try your local BBB for help. Most reputable businesses don't like hearing from them---but then, a reputable business would have repainted it for you! Good Luck! JIM.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I hate to here that about your trouble but if you sign a contract just to paint the car and he said that they had body work and charge you for it then you can call the main office and tell them what happen and they might help you.I sure hope so. Later Bill

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Knowing the ins and outs of Franchising, the Home Office in this case probably will not do crap for you.

You call them, they call the store manager, they call you back, sometimes you are on a three way, same answers same BS.

The was a site called rip off report dot com, that suggested talking to the owner and if you couldn't get anywhere, calmly inform him that you will be picketing his shop till he took the corrective action.

Taking pictures of the picketing and sending them to the Home office will get the franchisee in deep poo poo, but it is still up to the owner to do something.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Volume is the name of the game, Nobody, home office or not will care. IF you are old enough to remember Earl Scheib, its the same dog and pony show.

If you have an old red 81 pickup with a greeen front clip off a 83 and blue doors off an 82, They are who to call, but be prepared to paint your own door jambs.

Gary

·
Registered
957 Posts
Try going to your locl TV station. One of our local TV stations has what they "17 on your Side" (channel 17). You tell them the problem you are having, they go ask questions and take video etc. It's amazing what some bad publicity will do to get things fixed. I've never used them, but I wouldn't hesitate in your situation.

We have two Maaco's here locally. One is known to be REALLY shady and the other is actually known to be really good (though it is Maaco so you should know what you are getting going in). I have contemplated getting my final paint done by them (just the $500 single stage job). I'm just not setup to paint at home and the BAD chemicals freak me out.

When you guys go this route, do you shoot your door jams first or after the maaco job??

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
We still have an Earl Schieb here in Tucson. They painted and did some body work on a 73 Dart I had about 12-13 years ago. They did the jambs and the trunk. They guaranteed the shine for 5 years. Three years later they repainted it for free because it lost all the shine. I've had friends get upset about Maaco here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
heck with it pass the spraygun

:) I have decided that Painting my own will be the best way to go. Heck with the unknown. I have painted in the past and might as well do it one more time. Base / clear coat..........heck there is always sandpaper near by............... I did the Body work might as welll do the rest that way it is mine........................yehaw...........:rolleyes::eek::confused0006::D
Pig is me

·
Registered
842 Posts
I may sound unsympathetic and I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but you paid $1500 and got a bargain. I have painted cars since 1964 and the last time I was paid for painting one for under $1500 was in 1981 (and that was my cousin's car).

I don't see how Maaco could do any labor and paint yours that cheap. Maybe they were using your car to train beginners so they could afford to do the labor for less. I couldn't paint my own car car for $1500. I would expect a good paint job, with quality materials, to be more like $15,000.

You usually get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Aaaaaaah Jeeeeeeez Tabasco....now your gonna start the "How come I didn't get the best paint in show trophy for my I Did it myself $500 paint job" debate again! Or the "Heck how many cars did you get painted for that $10K!" remarks. Oh joy...I can't wait:happy0030:

Don

·
Registered
437 Posts
Personally I think if you thought you were gonna get a nice paint job for 1500... you didn't do your homework. Your best friend,father,son,brother,mother couldn't paint that car for you for $1500 bucks...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts