Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend with a '57 4 dr ht. Body is all stock. We just did aftermarket p/b, p/s & a/c. Now he wants power windows at all 4 hardtop windows. I know stuff is available for the fronts but what about the rears? Seems we have to go with a "universal" kit of some kind for the rears. So the question is, have any of you done this?? Is it a do able thing for the rears??

Thanks.........Steve

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
The switches are available repo, so I would say yes it can be done, Danchuk may have a kit available :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If you need to get electrical or audio wires for your windows, door locks or spreakers to your doors without seeing them, I can custom make your two door hinges to hide these wires.

I will custom make your hinges with a passage way thru the bottom of your hinges that wires can pass thru without detection. This passage should accomodate all your wiring needs. This is a very labor intensive process where I cut off approximately 1/2 inch of the bottom of a portion of each hinge. I then weld back steel sides and bottom to make the hinge look as close to original as possible - except it now has a tunnel path for wires to pass thru to the doors. This custom process costs $150.00 to do a pair of your hinges, plus shipping - Priortiy mail flat rate boxes $20.00 with insurance. Hinges must be in good condition to start and include the boxes. I will make the hinges, sandblast, prime, run fish wires and return them to you ready to paint. If you want new (recommend to do) hinge pins and bushings, add an additional $7.50 per front door hinge. Most people do the bottom hinge, but can do either top or bottom as they are the same.

Below are some pics of completed hinges. The bottom opening passageway is on the bottom of the hinge.

Thank you and if you want more information - email.

:gba:

Fuzz

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If you need to get electrical or audio wires for your windows, door locks or spreakers to your doors without seeing them, I can custom make your two door hinges to hide these wires.

I will custom make your hinges with a passage way thru the bottom of your hinges that wires can pass thru without detection. This passage should accomodate all your wiring needs. This is a very labor intensive process where I cut off approximately 1/2 inch of the bottom of a portion of each hinge. I then weld back steel sides and bottom to make the hinge look as close to original as possible - except it now has a tunnel path for wires to pass thru to the doors. This custom process costs $150.00 to do a pair of your hinges, plus shipping - Priortiy mail flat rate boxes $20.00 with insurance. Hinges must be in good condition to start and include the boxes. I will make the hinges, sandblast, prime, run fish wires and return them to you ready to paint. To do a four door (four hinges), $275.00 plus return shipping. If you want new (recommend to do) hinge pins and bushings, add an additional $7.50 per front door hinge. Most people do the bottom hinge, but can do either top or bottom as they are the same.

Below are some pics of completed hinges. The bottom opening passageway is on the bottom of the hinge.

Thank you and if you want more information - email.

:gba:

Fuzz
I'm curious... how would the rear door hinges be done? They are completely different from the fronts. Do you have pic's of rear door hinges done?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'm curious... how would the rear door hinges be done? They are completely different from the fronts. Do you have pic's of rear door hinges done?
My Bad! You are right and I don't know what I was thinking, having never paid any attention to the rear hinges on a four door tri-five and the way they are made. I always thought they were like the fronts and have never had anyone want the rears done. My apologies for writing an erroneous offer. My intensions were never to mislead anyone. From now on, I will only advertise for the FRONT hinges. Having never really looked at rear four door hinges, I thank you for pointing out my faux pas. Apologies again to all.

Fuzz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm very interested about this so please post pics and keep us updated
Parts for all 4 doors of the '57 HT were ordered from this web site. Just got them late last week. Instructions are pretty straight forward with good pictures. Car is scheduled into the shop early next week for 2 days. We'll see how that goes?? I'll keep updating as time allows.

http://www.musclerodzstore.com/powerwindowkits_7.aspx

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Parts for all 4 doors of the '57 HT were ordered from this web site. Just got them late last week. Instructions are pretty straight forward with good pictures. Car is scheduled into the shop early next week for 2 days. We'll see how that goes?? I'll keep updating as time allows.

http://www.musclerodzstore.com/powerwindowkits_7.aspx

Steve
Project complete and customer is very happy!! As noted above, the instruction pic's are only for the rear doors. The fronts went pretty easy. It was the rears that gave us some grief.

Rears: A stop fitting at the bottom front of each window has to come off before removal. Same with a U shaped track on the window. We looked at the provided pic's and found the circled "dimples". Be very careful with that as there are 6 dimples and only the bottom 4 will work.

The kit itself is very good, but it is not for the faint of heart to install.

The one issue was the Passenger front door harness. It was "almost" too short?? By that I mean it had maybe and inch of slack, were the other three doors had ample cable slack.

Sorry, no pic's............Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts