Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 57 with original 283, 2 barrel carb, mechanical fuel pump, glass bowl fuel filter, won't start. We only start it a few times a year and maybe it sat too long this time?

It's always been a hard starter after sitting, but usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd try with the aid of starter fluid. The battery is charged, and the engine is trying to turn over, but the glass bowl is empty and we can't see anything happening in there when we try to start the car - no evidence that gas is being pumped or sucked up into the bowl. The fuel gauge shows 1/4 tank.

How can we trouble-shoot this? Should we take the bowl off and put some gas directly in it? or ??

Thanks, PJ

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
gas

try pulling the line off the fuel pump be for the bowl and crank the motor over with a catch can in hand. see if you are getting gas pressure to the bowl. the gage might be out. i would try putting gas in the tank first.

·
Registered
67,419 Posts
hi pj and welcome. good to have yoy here. add gas to tank, 5gal. can should do it. next see if pump is good. your lines from the tank to pump could be full of junk and not even getting gas to pump. :anim_25:

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
You could check a few things, but as everyone said, you might try putting some gas in the tank just to eliminate the easiest thing.

Next, I'd disconnect the line from the input side of the pump and see if gas is in the line. Then crank the engine with you finger over the hole where you disconnected the line and see if there's any suction. You could hook up a short line with gas in a jar and see if it sucks gas out of the jar when cranking the engine.

If you get gas or suction doing these things, you have a problem with you fuel line or the tank. If no suction or no gas, the disconnect the line from the other side of the pump and see if it's clogged - you can disconnect it from the filter and blow into it.

If it's not clogged between the pump and the filter, you probably need a new pump.

If you decide that it's a problem between the pump and the tank, you might have a leak in the line which you can find sometimes just by looking for it and seeing if there's fuel coming out somewhere. A leak in the line could cause the pump to not be able to suck fuel.

Good luck, welcome to the site, and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good ideas, thanks, we'll try the easiest first and take it from there. Will post back when we figure out what's wrong and get it going!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
My Camaro acts this way when not driven for long periods (like in spring time). After much cranking (short periods) it usually fills the filter. Sometimes I've had to shoot a little start fluid in to help it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gas

It was just out of gas :stupid:. So much for the accuracy of the the 53 year old fuel gauge.

Now we still can't get the '57 out because the '56, which is blocking the '57, decided to lose its charge and not start :rolleyes:.....but that's easily remedied. Let's hope we don't have a power failure.

Thanks for the suggestions - fortunately the easiest solution is all that was needed! :wavey:
:moddhappychevelle22

·
Registered
176 Posts
It was just out of gas :stupid:. So much for the accuracy of the the 53 year old fuel gauge.

Now we still can't get the '57 out because the '56, which is blocking the '57, decided to lose its charge and not start :rolleyes:.....but that's easily remedied. Let's hope we don't have a power failure.

Thanks for the suggestions - fortunately the easiest solution is all that was needed! :wavey:
:moddhappychevelle22
i bought a new sender fron danchuck and its not very accurate either when i gets to empty when mine is at 1/4 its just about empty so its common glad thats all i needed was fresh fuel make sure to put stabil in the tank as well to keep the fuel and filters fresh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts