Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having 57 BelAir hardtop J rubber problems.

Mine came as part of weatherstrip kit from Classic Industries.
I don't have the package anymore so I don't know the manufacturer of this piece.
The rubber is not strong and tears easily (torn through area of lower push pins) and seems to be a type of rubber that doesn't work well with 3M weatherstrip adhesive.
I cleaned with lacquer thinner first time before gluing. 2nd time I roughed the surface with 80 grit and then cleaned with lacquer thinner.

It only stays on for maybe 10-20 times of door open/close cycles.

Anyone make a better rubber ??

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Mine came as part of weatherstrip kit from Classic Industries TF400755.
I don't have the package anymore so I don't know the manufacturer of this piece.
The rubber is not strong and tears easily (torn through area of lower push pins) and seems to be a type of rubber that doesn't work well with 3M weatherstrip adhesive.
I cleaned with lacquer thinner first time before gluing. 2nd time I roughed the surface with 80 grit and then cleaned with lacquer thinner.

·
Premium Member
1956 Belair Spt Cpe
211 Posts
Make em stay

I had the same problem with mine at first as far as getting them to stick and stay...

Finally used Super Glue GEL, yes that is what it took to make em stay.

·
Premium Member
1956 Belair Spt Cpe
211 Posts
Make em stay

I used a lot of it too! You just have to hold them in place for about 30 or 40 seconds...

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Mine came from Danchuck and sound very similar to the problems you have. After glueing them on a second time, I left the doors open for a few days to cure. That helped the adhesion issue, but one is still torn. It's my understanding T&N makes the best rubber seals. I don't know what I got from Danchuk. There's a member here who sells T&N, maybe you could do a search and find him.

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
31 Posts
J-Rubber

Mine came as part of weatherstrip kit from Classic Industries TF400755.

Mine came from Danchuck and sound very similar to the problems you have. After glueing them on a second time, I left the doors open for a few days to cure. That helped the adhesion issue, but one is still torn. It's my understanding T&N makes the best rubber seals. I don't know what I got from Danchuk. There's a member here who sells T&N, maybe you could do a search and find him.
Hello senginc,

We are sorry to hear that you have had difficulties with the J- Seals in our weatherstrip kit. We would be happy to replace it with a T&N brand set of seals if you would like to try the T&N brand that Fiddy5Coupe recommends instead.

Please PM us here with your account number and we will work with you to resolve the issue.

Ray Yager - Merchandising Director

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah the ones I purchased from Classic Industries and they were made by Soft Seal. I still have the package. My driver door fit ok, but the passenger side ripped off ! Don't know why one worked but the other didn't , but from what I heard [email protected] have a little smaller of a lip at the bottom of the "J" seal and it doesn't get hooked up and caught by the door.

·
Administrator
49,357 Posts

Clean it good and then glue on with super glue gel.
Terry

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,566 Posts
My buddy is going through the same issues with his Nomad, softseal also and the 3M stuff won't hold them after cleaning. He picked up some T&N and will be trying it with Permatex as he was told it works better with the rubber the J seals are made of and the abuse they take.

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand
7,761 Posts
I had the same problem with mine at first as far as getting them to stick and stay...

Finally used Super Glue GEL, yes that is what it took to make em stay.
I also used super Gel after a recommendation from a Tri-five member, and they are still hanging in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts