Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last driven in 1989, then stored for 23 years. As my 3 sons grew up I had little time and even less funding to bring the 57 out of storeage. With my boys close in age (now 12, 13, and 15) I figured its time for a family project. This past weekend my oldest son got his driver's permit so the timing is right.

I will post the pictures as we progress in the build. Since the body work is labor intense we will work it when we can. During the down time I am online researching all the options for; breaks, power steering, exhuast, and all the clearence issues that come with installing a 402 BB with a Rock Crusher.

On a budget, so we need to plan accordingly, with a goal to drive it by spring time.

I drove this car while I was in High School (79-82), it ran when I parked it, then time tooks it's toll. The 327 froze up, the gass tank rotted out, and the breaks went out. So we have our hands full. It will not be a frame off project as we want to drive it and enjoy it throughout the process of restoring it.

I have been a member of Trifive for a while now as I dreamed of having the time and funding to make a safe and reliable daily driver out of it once again.

We started about 3 weeks ago and I took these pictures along the way, the first one is her "Home Coming Party" :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Getting back to basics

Where to start? (I asked myself)

I figured basic skills and start the boys off easy, we sand blasted the wheels, then taped and painted them in different schemes.

The boys did well and we will use their new found skills as we continue the build adding new skills along the way.

The photos show before and after pictures of the wheels.

During the blast is was SAFETY FIRST. Under the hood my son is wearing 3M safety glasses and a respirator.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The roof....

Never stored a car before and I did some things right and perhaps somethings wrong. It was placed on blocks so all 4 wheels were off the ground. Then triple wrapped with green house plastic.

Stored 6 hours away I could never start it to circulate fluids, hence the block froze up. And the green house plastic kept water off, while it blistered the paint for 12 of the 23 years she was stored -- the blistered paint turned out in our favor :)

With 3 inch razor scrapers we all went at the roof, the paint came off with ease, a fast hit with the DA and the old girl had a "chrome dome"!

Five small dents in the roof and just one very small hole rusted through....we will deal with the dents and rust hole soon.

I watched as the boys took their taping and painting skills to the next level in order to seal the roof while they continue with other body panels. We had to rattle can it due to my compressor producing water, I think we solved that last night with a new regulator/filter/water remover installed on the tank.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Working out doors has its challenges....

Most of our work is done outdoors. So to keep the boys busy on rainy days I bought a indoor blast cabinet.

We learned that its not just SAND. Research lead us to "SODA" to blast the chrome parts without removing the chrome.

The following photos show the boys' work after cleaning up the rear bumper parts that will fit in the blast cabinet. Enjoying they result they pulled the headlight rings and soda blasted them as well.

On a budget, we will reuse as much as possible until the time is right to actually replace the bumpers and other exterior chrome with new -- until then they will have to do.

The following photos show blasted next to unblasted parts....

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dad in trouble with the DA....

My goal is to keep all the boys working together as a team, so we hit the hood with razor blades as a group. When it came to the curves on the front of the hood the razors became less fruitful.

So "Dad" picked up the DA to give the boys a lesson on removing paint with power tools. This photo was take moments before I hit an edge and the head of the DA blew apart in pieces.

We stopped and assessed the issue after some laughter. We all agreed that the DA was getting water from the tank, the regulator was failing to reduce PSI to 90, and the DA was actually running at 135 PSI -- causing the pad to "gernade" (my son's term) on us.

We made a plan to get it right. A trip to the store and soon after we had a good regulator/air/water filter installed for 90 PSI. We also picked up an auto oiler for the handle of the DA and a new DA pad.

While two of us were out to the store the other two removed the front bumper to keep us moving forward without delay.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Wow! ...you guys are moving fast on that project. You should farm your sons out as a restoration crew when it's done.

·
Registered
68,209 Posts
thanks for sharring brian, very cool to be doing this with the family. :tu ................where in va. are you? :confused0024:

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Hello Brian, What a nice Family Project your 57 turned out to be!She's coming along just fine :anim_25: :bowtieb: Frank :flag6:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
DA working like a champ....

The boys continued taking turns with the DA on the front of the hood and found the first signs of BONDO.

My youngest son said "Looks like someone hit it with a hammer!".

And he was right. Seems that a previous owner wanted the front script deleted. They welded the holes up and rathern then griding and smoothing the welds they beat them in with a hammer to create a depression for the unground welds -- then bondo was applied to hide their "handy work".

The boys formulated a plan. They all agree that if the weld was ground smooth on the inside of the hood they could then dolly and hammer the depressions out and then smooth them from the front.

They also like the "gasser" look with the front bumper gone....but in time it will go back on :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Mountain Motor; YES, I should farm them out as a labor force -- wait, might be laws against that!

Carl; We are in Winchester VA, let us know when and where you plan to show your rides off and we'll be there!

Polish Belair; Thanks, a family that sands together stays together!

It's my goal to teach the boys that they can break a big project down to bite size pieces and get it done. Also, they will learn skills that will last a life time in the same way that my father taught me.

I know this is not a technical forum space within Trifive, but if you guys have tips and experience to share please do so -- my boys are listening :)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Brian: Great project for you and the boys...This project will create a bond between you and your sons that will last a lifetime..as well as giving them a great skillset

Keep the pics coming

Cliff:congrats:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I am loving this!

·
Registered
208 Posts
You are building happy times with your sons that time will never take away. I was fourteen when I got my first car(55 belair), my uncle owned a junk yard back then, taught me so much about the cars of that time period, I think of him every time I pick up a tool to work on the 55 that we now own. thanks for the great story. And keep up the great work.:congrats::gba::anim_25:

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Hey Brian, looks like you’re com’n along nicely, :tu keep up the good work with those boys age 12, 13, and 15) so best of luck with it as your 57 Chevy project as it all comes together :tu, keep us posted as you and your boys continue to make progress, I spent the 6 best years of my life building the Black 55 Chevy you see in my signature... missed those terrible teen years, he was great!!! so keep those pix an updates com’n… we love to see a Father SON'S project...:tu.... BDR…:cool:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
"My Three Sons"

So here are "My Three Sons" -- can you hear the music from that show running through your head? Did I just date myself or what? Haha

Today they finished sealing the hood. It still has a few dings in it that need attention, but one thing we learned so far is not to bare more metal then you can prep and protect within two days. With our humidity it takes about 2 days to get a film of surface rust making more work in the end if we wait too long to seal it.

Still haven't solved the water in the line. We pulled the tank air/water filter off that we bought from Lowes last week and put a Sears unit that regulates as well as filter air/remove water last night -- it don't work. We now have more water coming out of the DA then ever before. It is correctly mounted with arrows going the right way -- any thoughts or words of wisdom for this issue?

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Not sure how big your compressor is, but the harder it works, the more heat it generates and therefore moisture developes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Couldn't hurt to completely drain the tank and start over (pressure condenses water vapor into a liquid) Put a good filter on up front and get those disposable dealios for at the tool.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Brian, really enjoying the read about the build and the time spent on the 57 with your boys. I can see they are getting the same enjoyment out of it as you are. It is so much better when the family can become involved and the time spent with your boys will bring them closer to you. Keep posting them pics and more of the story. Love it :congrats::tu:tu:tu

1 - 20 of 387 Posts