Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up another set of 57 bumpers yesterday..now i got three one piece fronts and a spare rear. I'm planning to raise my center exit exhaust up into the bumper so i cut out the rear i just got with a 3" holesaw and a 1/32" zip cut disc..going to frame/weld a 1/2" solid round bar around it.

The center will go out for chrome removal tommorrow then i will weld the studs for a rear "smoothie"

The top one has been dipped to remove the chrome and studs welded in / licence plate holes filled to make a "smoothie"...the other two i will sell to cover some plating costs:)

May still modify a set of rear wagon / nomad bumper guards and fill in the licence light if i can find a good used set:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mike do you know what guys are doing to remove the bumper bolts to make it smooth. I talked to friend of mine who owns a chrome shop and he says if I weld in studs where the bolts were, they will pull in the bumper where it is tightened and not look good leaving dimples. He says he has seen it a number of times. Any ideas?
I have my front one piece smoothed now but not sure what to do with the remaining bolt holes.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Mike do you know what guys are doing to remove the bumper bolts to make it smooth. I talked to friend of mine who owns a chrome shop and he says if I weld in studs where the bolts were, they will pull in the bumper where it is tightened and not look good leaving dimples. He says he has seen it a number of times. Any ideas?
I have my front one piece smoothed now but not sure what to do with the remaining bolt holes.
Might try welding in a small length of bar stock (.25 thick) with the stud welded to it. This would put the pressure on the bar stock and not directly to the bumper.

Bill

·
Registered
865 Posts
Should look really cool.. all ways admired your 57 looks great as is!!!

I had a book with some pics of factory ideas that didnt make it into production. One was a 56 with the exhuast coming out the rear bumper. Near the corners looked really cool.

Mike

·
12,256 Posts
This is what I did....

·
Registered
150 Posts
those little mounts look pre made, where would I get those?
I assume I would have to modify the bumper brackets to make up for the space the mount adds or the bumper would be pushed out?

·
12,256 Posts
those little mounts look pre made, where would I get those?
I assume I would have to modify the bumper brackets to make up for the space the mount adds or the bumper would be pushed out?
I made the brackets myself...take a look at my thread on making a smoothie bumper, and I think you will see how I did it. It was pretty easy, even without a mill.

I modified all my brackets and braces, but you don't need to if you want your bumper to be wider than stock. The brace holes may need to be elongated. I just shortened mine.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Mike, man, I like the look it has now, but do look forward to seeing the new idea come to life as well, keep those updates and pix com'n, that's one Beautiful 57 you got there ! Best of luck with the changes and hope it turns out to your liking... BDR...:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts