Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced differential today. I have done this before. however when i turn axle by hand and watch the drive shaft the drive shaft stops turning and it gets easier to turn axle. it does this once every rotation of axle. is this limited slip or is something messed up ? please help:p3:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I replaced differential today. I have done this before. however when i turn axle by hand and watch the drive shaft the drive shaft stops turning and it gets easier to turn axle. it does this once every rotation of axle. is this limited slip or is something messed up ? please help:p3:
Is it a stock differential? Do you have both wheels off the ground? Is the opposite axle turning backwards?

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
As per your profile, I assume this is a truck? But not sure if that matters...

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
i was afraid you would ask that. 57 chev rear end in a 27 T-bucket
AH HA! Never be afraid... There are some very bright minds here (not mine) I hope you find the answer you seek.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
believe it to be stock. wheels off the ground. not sure if axle is running opposite direction.
OK. With an open (non-posi) rear end, if both wheels are off the ground, the opposite wheel will rotate backwards and the drive shaft may or may not turn depending on it's resistance. This is caused by the spider gears. The drive shaft may have a slight bind, causing the action you are seeing. Block the opposite wheel from turning and see if the driveshaft keeps turning.
With a posi rear end, with one wheel blocked, you will not be able to rotate the opposite wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts