Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having breakfast thismorninf at the local diner and this old guy was chatting to another guy about stuff he wanted to get rid of well he said he had among other things a 57 chevrolet body and frame in the shed this is where i butted in ,after getting the guys address i drove to his house to find it was a 4 door v8 car , well it have a v8 in it a one point, but a plain jane 150 no engine or trans , its a really great original body, fair intirier,missing a few piece but all 150 trim in place ,it has a cowl tag but no vin plate the rivets or what seam to be spot weld are there but no plate and there isnt a title he told me i can take what ever pics i need and cowl tag info and get it check out by law inforcement as it not stolen question is what do i do about the vin tag thats missing? I really want to leave this a 150 car all stock?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would walk away from it unless you are just looking for a parts car. Even if it turns up not stolen, you are in for lots of headaches if you want to try to register it. Someone probably removed the vin plate to put on another car which obviously is highly illegal. Or, it's stolen and the plate was removed to hide the identity of the car. I can't think of any other reason to do it. In either case, there are no happy days ahead with that car. It's just a disaster waiting to happen. 2c

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
no title or vin? one of those would be a problem, but both? :bath:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he said it was his uncles car bought it new his son started to strip it down even got old pics of the car from the sixtys the spot weld seamed to be still in tacked looks like its fallen off gonna crawl under i tonight and see the fame vin its too legit to be stolen , we dont have a title law in maine !

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The model is likely not a hot car, unless it was used to commit a crime. However, it's original VIN tag had value, being a V8 150. The original VIN tag and possibly the matching title may now be with a counterfeit black widow or another hot car. IMO, it is a reasonable purchase if you exercise due diligence and if you don't plan on sinking alot of money into it.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
he said it was his uncles car bought it new his son started to strip it down even got old pics of the car from the sixtys the spot weld seamed to be still in tacked looks like its fallen off gonna crawl under i tonight and see the fame vin its too legit to be stolen , we dont have a title law in maine !
There's a good chance that the kid ( son) that stripped the car knocked it off. What are the chances of reaching that guy to shed more light on the story?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a good chance that the kid ( son) that stripped the car knocked it off. What are the chances of reaching that guy to shed more light on the story?
as far as i can make out is that the father died and the son (kid) started restoring it in the mid 80s from there it just sat which what saved the car from the elements so now the owners brother is left with the car (the old guy i met) he told me the son lost interest! ,its just a 150 four door what real value does it have ?

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
don't think it is worth a lot, but that is up to you.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Who cares if it is an original V8 150? The VIN would not be a Black Widow clone because it is a 4 door. I love 150's but a 4 door 150 with no VIN. PASS

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts
If you like the car and want to buy it, go to the DMV and tell them your story.....In some states with a car that old, you may be able to get it registered with just a bill of sale.

Also there is a VIN stamped onto the frame directly under the driver's seat and about a foot or so to the rear of that.....Hard to read sometimes, but its there.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
A long shot...... But look again at the cowl. If its a Canadian built car, there will be no stainless VIN tag on the drivers side windshield post as do American built '57s.

My Canadian built '57 has a second cowl tag which has 'GM of Canada, Ltd.', the car's serial number and the engine number stamped on it. This tag is embossed aluminum and is riveted to the cowl to the passenger side of the windshield wiper motor.

Good luck,

Harry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts