Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 798 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The time has come for me to start a thread on my 57 project. My car is a 57 210 2 door sedan. This car began it's life when it was built in the Oshawa Car Assembly plant in Oshawa Ontario. It was delivered to Fee's Motors in Lindsay, Ontario. From there it toured around though it never strayed too far away from the area. It started out in the factory as a straight 6 with a three on the tree. It had a deluxe heater, but no radio. The original colour was two-tone Laurel Green and Colonial Cream. The interior was ivory and black. The front seat was long gone and a '68 Impala was now in it's place. The motor had been replaced with a early 70's 350 and a saginaw 4-speed manual. I found it in January of 2010, but buying it wasn't really in the plans at the time. We were just moving and I wanted to build a garage first. Fast forward to 15 months later, I was away on business and saw it again on Kijiji. I called the owner and asked if I could come look at it again, this time I brought some money with me.

We talked, kicked the tires, talked some more and then closed the deal. The next day he brought it to the house and I parked it in the garage.

Dave
:bowtieb:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next phase of the build was reading a lot of threads on Tri-five and asking questions, seeing other builds and planning. I tried to develop a timeline for the project, more as a guideline than anything else.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63696

Now this project won't be done this summer, in fact, I'm forecasting a 5 year plan. I'd love for it to be done sooner, but I'm trying to be realistic, based on life getting in the way, lol!

Next up was to decide to buy or build a rotissorie. I've looked at plans for years and finally decided to build one after seeing the plans for one that Robert (MP&C) designed.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80359

Now that that's pretty much done, I figured I should get around to tearing the car apart.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did start taking some of it apart after Christmas. I took the hood off, all of the front trim.

This past weekend I finally dug in and fought the good fight against the rust gremlin.

Boy, those bumper bolts were definitely a pain. Once the bumper came off, the rest wasn't too bad.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The inner fenders are pretty rough:

The air vent tubes from inside the fender are rough, but I think they are salvagable:

After I cleaned up, I found of this on the floor, not sure if I can put it back on the car, I think I'll toss it:

Dave

·
Registered
66,531 Posts
enjoyed the story and pics of what your doing, thanks. have fun with it dave. :tu

·
Registered
25 Posts
The inner fenders are pretty rough:

The air vent tubes from inside the fender are rough, but I think they are salvagable:

After I cleaned up, I found of this on the floor, not sure if I can put it back on the car, I think I'll toss it:

Dave
How much you want for the Coke box of parts ? Seriously I love your car!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Brings back memories of when I started my 210 project. I hear your pain on removing the bumper. I've been asked many times "How do you take a 57 apart ?" My answer is " PB Blaster, a long pri-bar, and a saws all". Good luck with the project. I planned to take 4-5 years for my build but I've gotten obsessed with getting it finished and I'm now 14 months in and hopefully scheduled to have it completed within a year. :anim_25:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dave, just the other day I was looking at your 'timeline' thread and wondering 'yeah, but where's the build thread?'

Glad to see you're jumping into it.

Looking forward to watching this one.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
One thing I forgot to mention, I did find a seat for the car last fall. At first I thought I'd just use the seat that came with it, but it's a little too wide. I started looking for a replacement seat. I checked out a few local ones, but most were 55/56 and in poor shape for the money they wanted. I had a offer from California, but shipping pretty much killed that deal. The one day out of the blue I received a pm from a member here (55for65) who had one for sale. It came with his 55 and it was a seat for a 57. He was going more modern with newer style seats. We talked over phone and made a deal. The next week I was on vacation, so Jen & I rented a trailer and drove to upper Michigan for a two day trip and visit. We met Gary at his place and spent about two hours visiting. Great guy! Showed us around his place, showed us the 55 he's working on, his shop and some of his other projects. After a cup of coffee, we loaded the seat up, headed to the closest hotel for the night. The next day we stopped in Flint for some shopping and another overnight stay, then headed home. Great all round trip, got a new seat and new friends!

The seat in storage, up off the ground, at Gary's:

Back at home on the ground:

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dave, just the other day I was looking at your 'timeline' thread and wondering 'yeah, but where's the build thread?'

Glad to see you're jumping into it.

Looking forward to watching this one.

Steve
Thanks Steve! Getting much done on your project?

Dave

1 - 20 of 798 Posts