Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am trying to buy a 55 or 57 Belair and found a 57 150 that was once a show winner about 25 years ago. Is is solid, straight, frame off restore and still looks good ..350 - 4 bolt main with 4 speed . paint is good from 10 feet but faded and scratched a little up close ..Frame and suspension, etc all still look very clean, only 5000 miles on it since it was restored 25 years ago ... the guy tore out the original seats and put late model Caprice seats in. 3 questions to help me decide whether or not to but this car :

1. Is $16,000 too much to pay for this car?
2. About what would it cost to get 2 57 chevy seats then replace the entire interior with the OEM vinyl and cloth seats?
3. What would it cost to replace the 150 trim with all the Belair trim before I get it repainted?

Thanks for your help .... Mark

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Please post some pictures here so we can see better if it is worth the price.

Assuming it is a 2 door post we are talking about.

The seat. a used 1957 front seat for a 2 door goes for around 500-600 dollar range, and the rear seat usually gets around the 200 dollar range. if you can find one..

Now getting them covered is all over the price range , most upholstery shops range from 1500 to 4500 from what I have found I am sure their are other prices, but you can get a seat cover kit from Danchuck and do the job your self and save some money, Thats what Mike did, although I don't know where he bought the kit, he did all the install.

Now me , I am lucky their is a local guy here in Ky, that will do the entire car, interior, headliner, and trunk for 1000.00, but don't expect to find that price anywhere else.

I have seen his work and it is very good.

Hope this helps a little.

as far as the bel-air stainless, some of it you can get new, But the beltline kit, the 12 piece set that goes around the windows is not reproduced and if you can find a used set, it easily goes for 600.00 or more.

THe price of the side stainless etc, can be found on dancuck or cars inc etc.

Otis:)

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,382 Posts
Yes - leave the baby a 150! :tu I love the Bel Air - but it's much more rare to see a nice 150. I like the clean lines (but then I'm a bit partial) Check the history of the "Black Widow" Chevy 150s - no one could touch 'em.
- oh if you're willing to make a business coupe - you wont even need a rear seat - ;)
Good luck.

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
If it is a "150" leave it a "150" it worth more in the long run!! Fewer "150's" are around which ups the vaue. (IMO)
I agree, For 16000 you can buy a good belair 2 door post with the original seats still in it.
Rick

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also vote for leaving it a 150. I like the Bel Air, but it is also nice to see a 150 every now and then. It bothers me when I see a faked BelAir.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Mark,
If you want a Belair, look for a Belair. Don't mess with the trim on a 150!:eek:
I am however an active member in good standing of 150 admiration society. :D(check my Garage)

It's hard to tell without seeing pictures but 16k for a good Trifive is a good price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It all depends on what kind of budget you are talking about and what kind of Iron you can find by you. In the Rust Belt of PA if you can find a nice rust free car $16000 is not a great price but reasonable.

As far as the trim goes I would have to side with finding a Belair if thats what you want. But remember its your car make it what you want don't matter who says what!;);)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
My personal opinion here. I have always believed to leave a car what it is and don't make it into something it isn't. I appreciate a car for what it truly is, not a fake or a "clone". As others here said, the 150's are likely the rarest of all.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,801 Posts
My next trifive will be a 150 post (dont care what year). I vote for keeping it a 150!!!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mark : Check out www.Greatoldcars.com, cars-on-line.com, Oldride.com & classiccars.com (put the WWW.in front of all) if you're looking for a belair or just to compare 150 prices. I've seen them around 15k & higher. Love those Red Belair 2dr Ht's ! but man r they high as the dickens now :-(

Troy

·
Registered
280 Posts
Go for the "Belair" look and sell me you 150 trim!
That's a good price for an old Hot Rod.

Love those 150's

Dennis

·
Registered
708 Posts
57 belair 2dr ht on ebay for $13 k & change

Hi everyone,

I am trying to buy a 55 or 57 Belair and found a 57 150 that was once a show winner about 25 years ago. Is is solid, straight, frame off restore and still looks good ..350 - 4 bolt main with 4 speed . paint is good from 10 feet but faded and scratched a little up close ..Frame and suspension, etc all still look very clean, only 5000 miles on it since it was restored 25 years ago ... the guy tore out the original seats and put late model Caprice seats in. 3 questions to help me decide whether or not to but this car :

2. About what would it cost to get 2 57 chevy seats then replace the entire interior with the OEM vinyl and cloth seats?
3. What would it cost to replace the 150 trim with all the Belair trim before I get it repainted?

Thanks for your help .... Mark
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NICE...209602057QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300209602057

·
Registered
708 Posts
57 150 ebay for $9k ...looks good.

Hi everyone,

Mark: check this out before you buy !

troy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/57-c...227532170QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180227532170

·
12,256 Posts
Many of these cars have been modified so much that it really doesn't matter what you change unless you're trying to restore the car to original. That said, if you really want a BelAir, I would keep shopping and find a BelAir. If you'r etrying to change a 57 150 to a Belair, you'd have to weld up the side trim holes and re-drill them. $16K isn't a bad price for a solid car, depending on what else it needs. A 57 150's trim is kinda unique, and it grows on you. IMO I like the Belair stainless around the windows of a tri-5 sedan. ;)

·
Registered
67,335 Posts
hey!!! what about 56's?:mad::mad: just kidding.;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I saw a two-tone '57 150 that was absolutely stunning, in that it had the white not just on the roof but the upper part of the rear body, like you can do with a '56. That car really knocked me out. So, my opinion is, sure, do whatever floats your boat..but don't think a Belair is the only way to go!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey mark i have a 57 2 door wagon 150 I really need the quater panel trim and door spear i've looked everywhere and no luck if you could help me i would greatly appriciate it my number is 702-340-5644 i live in las vegas ...I tied ordering the trim off the 1955 2 door sedan from danchuck but it was too short

1 - 20 of 29 Posts