Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I align my passenger side fender? It was ok until I put on the bumper now its bowed and pushing back against the door and the cowl is pushed up.
Tried adjusting it but at a loss.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Unless you “straighten” the sheet metal the front 1/4 and the door bow in towards the front gap between them. It is the flawed design of the body. To make this all straight between fender and door requires a lot of work. I couldn’t stand the doubled bowed look and performed surgery on my Nomad to make it all straight and in the same plane. Also the hood gap was never right on the passenger side and required shrinking the fender to even the gap. Then the trim fit better too once I straightened it to match body contour.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Unless you “straighten” the sheet metal the front 1/4 and the door bow in towards the front gap between them. It is the flawed design of the body. To make this all straight between fender and door requires a lot of work. I couldn’t stand the doubled bowed look and performed surgery on my Nomad to make it all straight and in the same plane. Also the hood gap was never right on the passenger side and required shrinking the fender to even the gap. Then the trim fit better too once I straightened it to match body contour.
I just posted about the same issue with my 56. When you say you did some"surgery" , how did you address the inward bow at the front of the door? I have this on both sides and I cannot bring the front fenders inward any further as they fit the hood well.

Attachments

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,581 Posts
This can be a problem with 57's more than other years. The bumper is so large and the brackets can be bent. A common problem that causes the fender to become bowed and pushed back is from the mountings on the side of the ends. Most of the time you will need to use spacers between the frame brackets that goes to the frame at a 90 degree angle. If there is any bow in this bracket it will pull the fender in at the front and bow the fender. The other cause of the fender being pushed back can be the main bracket on the bumper that bolts to the section where the middle and center are bolted. If this has any bend in it, it can cause the bumper to rotate on the ends and this will lift the fender in the front, resulting in the fender getting pushed back, against the cowl.

One of the most difficult things to do for me as a restorer of these cars, has been to get the bumpers to "fit" on a 57.

Mikey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts