Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
For future reference regarding glass damage.
I suggested this to the boss. He rejected it as being "the trik of the month".
3M™ Welding and Spark Deflection Paper | 3M United States
I ended up cutting and fitting cardboard panels.
Not cheap but it works! I tried it.
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info and the link.
I don't know what that 3M paper costs . . . . but if had used that 3M paper, it would have saved me $900 in new glass pieces (not to mention the labor and hassle to install it).
I bet that 3M paper costs a whole lot less than $900 and in the long run using it saves money.
I disagree with your boss categorizing this 3M paper as "the trick of the month". To me that 3M paper is a better way to accomplish a task . . . and that is what America is built on.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
While the engine is out, it might be a good idea to replace all of the freeze plugs with new brass ones.
I's sure a lot easier when it's on the engine stand!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Engine has been put back together and ready to mate with the transmission.

Installed some nice cast aluminum valve covers which are very thick. The valve covers that the previous owner had on the engine were so thin that they even deformed when I tried to use the spreader bars on the valve cover bolts to spread out the compression load.

Installed ARP bolts on the headers. The ARP header bolts that I bought come with a small hole drilled through them for safety wire to be installed. I installed safety wire on all the header bolts so that I don't have to worry about any of the header bolts backing out. Also used high temperature anti-seize on the header bolts.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Installed hood brace rods and inner hood cross brace (which were both missing) to stiffen up the hood.

Also installed Dynamat Hoodliner to insulate the hood in an effort to prevent the engine heat from cooking the hood's exterior paint.

Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
When cleaning up the old flywheel to reinstall it, I noticed that it was full of surface heat cracks . . . and I wasn't comfortable re-using it.
Therefore, I installed a new flywheel that I got from Summit Racing, along with new flywheel bolts.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Metalworking Machine tool Rim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
So the "While I'm At It . . . I Might As Well" disease struck again.

Since I installed a new flywheel, I couldn't bring myself to using the old clutch . . so II said to myself "I might as well install a new clutch since I have everything apart already"

Got a new clutch from Summit Racing.

Font Material property Advertising Brand Publication

Nice and clean shiny red. Almost too nice to install. It's a shame to get it dirty. LOL

Automotive design Red Gas Automotive tire Auto part

·
Registered
84 Posts
So the "While I'm At It . . . I Might As Well" disease struck again.

Since I installed a new flywheel, I couldn't bring myself to using the old clutch . . so II said to myself "I might as well install a new clutch since I have everything apart already"

Got a new clutch from Summit Racing.

View attachment 372424

Nice and clean shiny red. Almost too nice to install. It's a shame to get it dirty. LOL

View attachment 372426
You can't put an old clutch on a new flywheel. It just ain't right.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Got the new clutch installed.
The clutch kit came with a new throw-out bearing (which was nice).
Also installed new ARP clutch bolts and torqued them in a star pattern.
Used a machined metal splined clutch alignment tool. Tool wasn't cheap . . . but I wanted to avoid any issues getting the transmission back on and I only wanted to install the clutch once.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel

Also got the cleaned up and painted bellhousing installed.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Gas Engineering

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
The car was missing the large access panels thar are attached to the inner rear quarters.
I purchased new ones from Classic Industries and installed them.

I cleaned up the existing small semi-round V-shaped access panels as well, which were very rusty.

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Dr Hrdtp
358 Posts
I think you're very dedicated to this project and really seem to be enjoying every bit of it. Even with the perils of your findings, you seem to stay positive and move forward with a solution. That's the way to have a fun time working on these Tri-Fives. Keep up the great work and hope you end up with your dream cruiser.
Glenn
My Project - '57 Re-restore Project. | Chevy Tri Five Forum

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Dr Hrdtp
358 Posts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wish a had an automotive lift . . . but I guess 4 jack stands will have to do.

View attachment 368883
I finally bought a two-post lift last year. I decided I am just getting too old and dilapidated to crawl around on the floor anymore.
Glenn

61 - 80 of 83 Posts