Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I'm looking for ideas for a cold air intake system and its routing for a 57 Chevy, and this is the best I've seen yet over the last 4 or 5 years from a car show in Escondido, California. Passing on the (fuzzy) photo and info as I saw it.

The system used Spectre components. The air is dammed by the engine compartment sheet metal, and is just about forced into the intakes with nowhere else to go. Since it is OUTSIDE of the engine compartment BEFORE the actual engine compartment, there is no pre-heating of the air from the engine heat.

My other idea for cold air intake would use the vent screens above the headlights, and pipe it into the air filter that way thru passages, but I have never seen a set-up that way, just my idea, because I have rendered my inside air vents obsolete, I had enough with the cable actuated vent door cables many years ago.....got snapped in the face to many times from the cable while working under the dash, LOL.....

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,181 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'm using the fresh air buckets above the headlights to pipe air into filters mounted in the inner fender. I've got an LS motor with a pipe that comes off the throttle body and runs to both sides. You don't really see anything except the pipe going into the inner fender.

Much easier to pull off with a LS style motor vs a carb'ed engine given the distance you have to go to get ahead of the radiator support. If you're drawing air behind the radiator support you have a fresh/warm air induction system.

Charlie

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Hey a beautiful set up and one new bolt and what looks like an old greasy bolt wiped down and used, what sacrilege !!! Out bolt, out i say. :sign0020:
That was the mock-up.

Is this better?

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,297 Posts
Probably not gonna see any effect using these on a dyno since the engine is sitting still.

However, on the track you might.

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1999/12/ramairbox/

I honestly think it depends on a lot of factors, but if you can get cooler air into your engine, it helps. Maybe a few tenths at best, so 10 to 20 HP...ish?
My BB runs like crap when it's hot with the old air cleaner, the cold air intake adds I swear close to 20% by seat of the pants feel. Keep in mind this is only in 85 to 95F weather. I have no clue why mine runs so bad when hot, but it does and the cold air does it wonders. I'll try to get a pic of it. The filter is inside a modified Caddy air cleaner housing with the 4" tube running to the front with a scoop of sorts so it's really a Ram Air.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I believe that magazine after magazines has done a gazillion articles about the benefits of cold air to the engine. As far as dyno results they are good for static or checking a change but there is NO substitute for track testing. I am going to put in a cold air system and I am confident it will help and look cool as well.

Joe bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,297 Posts
Didn't like the Spectre

The Spectre air box I got (2 different ones) had a gap around the base that sucked in it's share of hot air, so I made my own starting with an old Cadillac housing. The inlet next to the radiator is from Spectre and it's supposed to increase air volume even when not in a "ram air" location, but mine is in the ram air area. And like that ford article where they riveted the tubes to the radiator baffles, mine can easily be removed by loosening a hose clamp so working in there isn't a PITA. The big rubber couplers came from Lowes plumbing, really tough and much cheaper than Spectre. Big and ugly, but tire black makes them look a little better.

And my 4" tube to the housing trasition is taller and wider than Spectre, also the Spectre air comes in and hits the filter with only 3/4" space to go around the air cleaner, mine has a good 1 1/2" of room to flow. I use a K&N filter. The tube is stainless steel small chimney liner but it's really hard to bend, I don't know how it is compared to stainless truck/tractor exhaust but I also have some galvanized tractor trailer exhaust that is MUCH easier to bend, but I never got around to seeing if/how it would polish up.

I like having the filter in the housing instead of out front, much better ram air effect. One of these days I'm going to have to run a vacuum/pressure gauge to the top of the carb and see if it actually increases the air pressure going into the carb when on the highway.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
On the 57's if you aren't using the fresh air tubes, I've seen pictures that used of some type of aftermarket dual inlet air cleaner. Then the hoses were run to back of the front section or the air tubes (where the first piece ends right over the tire) which take in air from above the headlights. Pretty neat system. Wish I'd saved a picture.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.