Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting closer to having the 5 7 on the road again, I have the motor running, trans in place and a new gas tank to install with new lines.

So.... not that is goes, it must be able to stop. Car has been sitting since the early 70's , has the stock master, drum brakes front and rear and the rear lines have been pinched off so it really only ever had front drums. I'm guessing for some pretty cool burnouts in the day lol.

I'm going to just convert to front disc, power booster, and dual master, valve, new lines etc. For simplicity, I plan to rebuild the rear drums and use new brake lines for it all.

So many kits around from Ecklers, Speedway, Classic Industries, Amazon, Ebay. Can anyone recommend a complete kit with a booster? I think I would like to use an 8" booster.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I recommend that you do some research. The 57 has stock 14" wheels. For disc brakes on the 57 you can go with the early GM metric set up; you can use the stock spindle or go with the 2" drop spindle with your choice of a disc brake kit to match your wheels. Consider control arms with sway bar. It also depends on your budget. There are lot of venders for this conversion. Call Earl Williams and others and see for yourself. This forum has great info also for your reading. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I don't plan to use 14" wheels ever. Currently have some old school slotted aluminum mags 15x7 and plan to keep using those since thats what my dad had for it. Looking for a solid kit with 8" booster for space if ever needed, and plain non slotted disc that can be fitted to the stock spindles. I appreciate any recommendations from members that have tried kits that work and any that I should avoid.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
You might consider a 0 offset kit that will keep the wheels in nearly the original position track width wise I think the 57 have a little less clearance than 55-56. The 0 offset kits normally add a little cost over kits using metric calipers. I used the 0 offset kit by CPP since I also retained stock spindles & other than the cheap bearings which need to be pitched it has worked well with the large GM calipers & rotors,others vendors have the same style kit. I would consider a dual 8" or 9" booster combo with pre bent line kit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might consider a 0 offset kit that will keep the wheels in nearly the original position track width wise I think the 57 have a little less clearance than 55-56. The 0 offset kits normally add a little cost over kits using metric calipers. I used the 0 offset kit by CPP since I also retained stock spindles & other than the cheap bearings which need to be pitched it has worked well with the large GM calipers & rotors,others vendors have the same style kit. I would consider a dual 8" or 9" booster combo with pre bent line kit.
Thank you, I'll look at the CPP kit, it sounds like you are ok with that one. Any thoughts on which booster? 8" or 9"? Are the bearings stock replaceable? Easy to find?

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,936 Posts
Here's another very popular Zero Offset kit for stock spindles. This is the kit I have. I'm using an aluminum corvette style 1.25" master cylinder from CPP, and a 9" dual booster from "Right Stuff" (bought at Speedway). I started with a 8" dual booster, and went to the 9" about a year ago. I really like the feel of the 9" but its not considered as nice looking, and is a little tighter fit to valve covers. I have a small block and standard height valve covers so it works for me. You can get pre-bent brake lines from many vendors.

·
Registered
66,978 Posts
on a budget: used a set from tomclassic on eBay, work great and price was good.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you decide to go with the stock spindle make sure to ask about thread width with the set up you want. Ask about zero offset. Wheels will be pushed some. Ask about back space on your front wheels for the set up you use. My 57 is currently on a 2" drop spindle early GM metric set up with the 10.5 rotor and smaller caliper (avoid) with a 4.25 back spacing. No rubbing and no grinding yet because it did effect the turning radius. I am OK with that. I've talked to Earle Williams and will visit with him Saturday the 17th (maybe). I will upgrade to larger rotors(12"), wilwood disc brake kit, control arms and their 2" drop spindle, all CPP, better built by Williams. That is why he is a bit more expensive. Good luck with your built.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,977 Posts
Here's another very popular Zero Offset kit for stock spindles. This is the kit I have. I'm using an aluminum corvette style 1.25" master cylinder from CPP, and a 9" dual booster from "Right Stuff" (bought at Speedway). I started with a 8" dual booster, and went to the 9" about a year ago. I really like the feel of the 9" but its not considered as nice looking, and is a little tighter fit to valve covers. I have a small block and standard height valve covers so it works for me. You can get pre-bent brake lines from many vendors.

Excellent kit....Great ebay seller

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,936 Posts
Thanks!!! Will the 11.2" rotors fit inside a set of 15x7 wheels?
They should fit. They need to be disc brake wheels, and I'm assuming a slotted dish mag is from the 70's - 80's....and likely disc brake style.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts