Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well..............a response to our email to their home office

I spoke to the owner today he said they did a good job on the car, he has been in the body shop business for 40 years, and his son the manger 16 years they know what they are doing and did a good job. They also advised me they will not paint another car for me :sign0020:.

They lost money on the car because it was more work than they thought when it came in and they spent at least 40 more hours on the car than they billed. I dont think they had more than 10 hours of body work in the car

After 5 minutes of him unloading verbal anger I asked, do you really think I would want to deal with you again??

He then asked why I asked to speak to him after several attempts of trying to ask why they sanded down the sides of the car it was clear

he doesn't listen only wait his turn to talk.

I just wanted some consideration of how I the customer felt I spent my money and never was rude or pushey I was very polite but they say nice guys finish last.

I chalk this up to a lesson learned Maaco mabe is a good choice if you have done all your own prep and body work but then if you did all that you might as well paint your car yourself if you have the space in my case I did have the space to paint my car and I think my next step will be to paint my car myself.

I understand why so many "hot rodders" do their own work, at lease if you aren't happy with the end result you didn't pay someone to screw it up.

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
thats a shame that you got no satisfaction, i feel for you. :(

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
This is one of the reasons I chose to paint my own car. It's only the second one I've done (not finished completely yet). So far I'm happy with the results and I'll have about $1100 in materials in it. If I'm not happy with any of it, I have myself to blame. But, I saved thousands!

·
Administrator
50,412 Posts
I`ve always felt that the only car i`d let maaco paint is a used one that i was wanting to make look a little better before trying to sell it. Never would i let them paint one of my old cars.
Terry

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
My family has been in the body shop business for over 25 years. One thing I have learned about paint and body work: Don't let anyone touch your car before you inspect the work they have done on others. Your idea of "Industry standard" may vary from theirs! I don't care if it's your prized hot rod or your wife's grocery getter! I have seen techs sand high build primer without using a sanding block or a guide coat. That's "their standard" but certainly not mine.

My brother painted my 56 over 20 years ago. Sikkens bc/cc. The wash primer, high build primer, paint, clear coat and sanding materials ran over $1,500 20 years ago!

Maaco is.... Maaco! What did you really expect for $1500 bucks. I don't say this to throw salt on your wounds. I'm sorry your unhappy with the quality of work. On the bright side it only cost you $1500, I have seen customers in my brothers shop looking for him to repaint their cars that were just done at another shop costing far more money than you spent.

I once had a friend who owned a tattoo shop. The sign over his chair read "Good work is not cheap..cheap work is not good"

Don

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Twenty years ago I did the body work & prep work on my dads 68 Mustang and took it to Maaco and spent about 300 dollars. He still drives it in parades etc., gets more comments than ever. I can not believe how well it has held up. It is still an above average driver, in reality most of us dont drive Barret Jackson rides.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Twenty years ago I did the body work & prep work on my dads 68 Mustang and took it to Maaco and spent about 300 dollars. He still drives it in parades etc., gets more comments than ever. I can not believe how well it has held up. It is still an above average driver, in reality most of us dont drive Barret Jackson rides.
Yep, I have always heard Maaco and Earl Sheib can paint, just don't let them do the body work and prep. They paint all day long every day and they have the boths and equipment to do a decent job. Prep on the other hand is a tedious time consuming job that really takes lots of work to get it right.

A friend of mine in the Air Force used to own his own paint/body shop before joining the AF. He was building a tubbed Porsche Speedster he had found in a tow yard. He did all the prep, primed with 2000 something etc. He made stands for the doors, hood and deck lid. Took the car and the four parts to Maaco and had them shoot the Red paint for like $500. A month later he took it to a local car show (probably 150 cars) and won best of show. I was shocked when he said he was going to Maaco, but it obviously turned out fine.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Yep, I have always heard Maaco and Earl Sheib can paint, just don't let them do the body work and prep. They paint all day long every day and they have the boths and equipment to do a decent job. Prep on the other hand is a tedious time consuming job that really takes lots of work to get it right.

A friend of mine in the Air Force used to own his own paint/body shop before joining the AF. He was building a tubbed Porsche Speedster he had found in a tow yard. He did all the prep, primed with 2000 something etc. He made stands for the doors, hood and deck lid. Took the car and the four parts to Maaco and had them shoot the Red paint for like $500. A month later he took it to a local car show (probably 150 cars) and won best of show. I was shocked when he said he was going to Maaco, but it obviously turned out fine.
In the 70-90s I used to rebuild some wrecked Camaros & Cutlasses, drove a 77 Camaro home in a hailstorm from Maaco that was painted that day. No problem with the 77 Camaro, but 1500 dollars damage to the 82 Omega chase car.

As far as Earl Schieb goes I tried them once. Paint looked ok for the price. The problem was those Dupont pigments & GE silicones stank so bad that I could not sell the car for 30 days.

·
Registered
957 Posts
So much for 3,000 and epoxy:sign0020: Heres the 50.00 to 100.00 paint roller forum.....:happy0030:...http://rolledon.forummotion.com/projects-f2/ Check out the first thread of the guys yellow Ranger cost him 28.75:party0031:
Just noticed your name. Are you the one that started the whole "Rolled on" paint jobs?? lol

You HAVE to admit seeing the cost and some of the outcomes of rolled on paint jobs, it IS tempting. $50 or less vs THOUSANDS.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just noticed your name. Are you the one that started the whole "Rolled on" paint jobs?? lol

You HAVE to admit seeing the cost and some of the outcomes of rolled on paint jobs, it IS tempting. $50 or less vs THOUSANDS.
LOL yeh Roller HERE no i was just doin it for fun, but when i got into it and saw the sites about especially the ROLLED on site with hundreds of guys, if your a good detail guy like the guy who painted the black hood on the Mequiers site it makes you stop and think for a driver or nice show car why are you spending 10,000.00 when it would cost you 50.00 and find a guy who knows how to wet sand, buff and finish detail or do it yourself :happy0030: Everyone here knows how to use a paint roller.:sign0020:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.