Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

It has been a few weeks since I posted an update. Much as been done with the help of a few folks on this site.

Earlier, I was having trouble working on areas of the roof where some metal had been raised around dents. With advice from this forum I was able to knock down the edges and successfully fill and sand these kinds of dents.

Now that the roof is going well the rod shop I am working with has mounted some new sheet metal. Both rear quarters were replaced as well as the tail pan and the 10" inside the trunk supporting the tail pan.

The deal made with the shop will put me back to working with cleaning up the seams. They smoothed the welds but it is my job to clean them up. I am not to concerned about the welds where straight metal meets straight metal. I am a little tense with smoothing the curved areas such as the new tail fins on the inside. The rod shop will be there watching me as I go.

Next step will be to smooth out the new metal and get the car ready for Z-Chrome. The shop will apply the Z-Chrome. Their paint expert will work with me to do the block sanding during the Z-Chrome coats.

Attached are a few shots with new quarters and a look at the tail pan area.

Best of luck to every body. Time to hit the work day. Back home to Houston tomorrow!!

Don Copeland

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
You are doing a great job, looking good, keep up the work and when you are done my car needs some work too.:)

Otis

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pro Street Reply

Steve,

Thanks for the comment. Since this is the first time I have touched any kind of repair job, what work I allow myself to do is constantly being supervised by the pros at Rod & Customs in Rosenberg, TX. They were kind enough to accept a deal where they guide me through some repairs so that I can gain some experience. At this point all I am doing is the top, hood, and trunk lid. The shop measured, measured, cut, and hung the metal. It is my job to get it ready for the Z-Chrome. They will apply the x-chrome and I will start the block standing stages.

At each phase we decide what I can do and what the shop should do. It saves me some bucks and I really feel good doing some of the work myself. Of course, there is a limit!

Again, thanks for taking a look.

Don Copeland
Houston, TX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts