Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
So i have the original pushbutton radio in my car and I just bought an aftermarket sony radio that I am going to put in the glovebox. i was speaking with a member who informed me that they did the same thing. this is what he said "I altered the wiring by not cutting anything, instead I used push on spade connectors for that reason.
What I did was I left the original in the dash, unplugged the power from that radio & re directed it to the new one. Keep in mind that the original had two wires grey was for radio light and the power was yellow. I used the yellow +12V and off the new radio the negative went to a ground under the dash. If you are running news speakers hook them up as normal, DO NOT run the original dash speaker as you can burn out your new radio."

Just wondering if anyone could instruct me as to the best way to remove these wires without doing any damage as it is hard to work in such a tight space and i want to make sure I'm removing the correct wires.
thanks a lot!

·
Administrator
70,807 Posts
Hi there, I had originally replied I`ll dig out the diagram for you, its easy to do, if your facing the original radio the plug if I remember correctly is on the left hand side under the dash to view. It just unplugs from the original radio, on the right had side there was a plug for the speaker wires and the antennae plug is from the rear.

Once I unplugged the original wiring from the radio there are two wires connected to the same connector but do two different functions, the yellow is the power and the grey was to turn on the light in the radio with the rest of your instrument lights.

I positioned the new radio in the glove box and used an estimated length from the original wiring to the new position, you dont need a lot, I used figure eight wiring (two insulated wires) pretty much the same like speaker wires put can carry current.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.