Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read all the threads on Ididit and Flaming river tilt columns. I'm still confused. I initially purchased the wrong "import" column. It's 32 in. The problem is the gauge snout interferes with the flared part of the column. (pics attached) I'm running a stock box that's been cut to accommodate a DD coupler. I want to use the stock steering wheel. From what I'm told, the Ididit ones will work. Still, some people have needed to lengthen the shaft?? I don't want to go that route nor do I want to cut the gauge "snout". Does anyone have a picture or success story using the same box, and steering wheel? I need to get it right this time. Thanks Colorado 57

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,692 Posts
Coladado....Seems to me Acardon had a similar situation....If he doesn't chime in here shortly, send him a PM.

Did some checking over at Chevy Talk and found this: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/225792/

See Acardon's replies:It sounds like you may not have a 57 column. The 57 column has a large opening on the collar that goes over the snout of the instrument cluster.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
No success story here.There are several posts and responses from Ididit as to their decision to make their 57 column at 30 in. with the addition of the 2 in. for the tilt portion.I had 1 inch added to the shaft and cut 1/2 in. on the cluster as well as an 1/2 in. firewall recess just to get it through the fire wall.

Attachments

·
Administrator
49,472 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have a plan...

So strange this is an issue with a car that is a staple in the hotrod world. I appreciate the responses. Again, I don't want to have shafts lengthened nor do I want to cut the snout of my gauge so here's my plan. From the box to the end if the snout is 28". Ididit makes a non tilt 2" column that is 28" long and flares out another 4" making a total of 32". So the hub and the steering wheel are only 4" apart. This should give me a little more room even though it doesn't tilt. It's new, and made in the USA. These babys go for $278. Game over? Here is the schematic and link. Colorado 57
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11096679612...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2176wt_756

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
ididit's 57 chevy, tilt, floor shift column measures at 31 -1/2 inches. That is the top of the sleeve to the bottom of the output shaft. The tube of the column ends at the firewall with the output shaft extending out far enough to couple to the stock box. The floor shift column should put your original steering wheel in the stock position. If anyone has any questions about the fitment of an ididit steering column please contact us by phone or email.

:flag6:

Kyle Sutherland
Sales
ididit Incorporated
610 S. Maumee St.
Tecumseh, MI 49286
Ph. 517-424-0577
Fax 517-424-7293

ididit’s got a brand spankin’ NEW website!
Go to www.ididitinc.com and check it out today!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts