Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, i recently purchased a unisteer tri-five set up and have run into a couple of minor set-backs. First the rack (shaft)seems to sit at a rather sharp angle when bolted to its mounting holes - now, i know some modifying is always needed when building a hot rod but we had to move the rack unit approx. 2-3in. towards the driver side of the frame just to get a more reasonable angle from rack to steering column and to clear the oil pan. (I'm wondering if shortening one tie rod and extending the other will affect its travel at 2in.?) i should note that i've installed an aluminum finned oil pan - the fluid line fittings did not clear the oil pan- so now i'm considering "shaving" the fins in order to clear. i've also noted that some unisteer tri five kits show a 'full' bracket set-up and others show the 'ears' part that bolt to the frame with the rack suspended on the 'ears' portion - is one newer/better than the other? Has anyone had a similar experience with these issues and this unit? Any comments/suggestions?

68,758 Posts
i'll move this to the top for you. maybe someone will know :tu

·
Registered
37,980 Posts
I think if you move the rack to the driver side to make the steering shaft installation easier, you are going to lose steering travel when turning left.

You will also introduce "bump steer" into the steering geometry.

You can grind the fins off the oil pan.

On the bracket trimming, a photo would help.

You are running into some of the typical problems with installing a rack on the stock suspension and crossmember.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kinda what i thought Rick...i think i'll just switch to a 500 box as this is the only thing that is holding me back at this point (r/p set up). Thanks for the input - appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Cruizer, if you want agood r-p go on line JIMMEYERSRACING.COM, they are in Oregon & have a great setup totally bolt in no holes to drill etc. I put one in my 55 & it works great although the steering is very quick, they are good people to work with ,,,Dick

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Hello All, i recently purchased a unisteer tri-five set up and have run into a couple of minor set-backs. First the rack (shaft)seems to sit at a rather sharp angle when bolted to its mounting holes - now, i know some modifying is always needed when building a hot rod but we had to move the rack unit approx. 2-3in. towards the driver side of the frame just to get a more reasonable angle from rack to steering column and to clear the oil pan. (I'm wondering if shortening one tie rod and extending the other will affect its travel at 2in.?) i should note that i've installed an aluminum finned oil pan - the fluid line fittings did not clear the oil pan- so now i'm considering "shaving" the fins in order to clear. i've also noted that some unisteer tri five kits show a 'full' bracket set-up and others show the 'ears' part that bolt to the frame with the rack suspended on the 'ears' portion - is one newer/better than the other? Has anyone had a similar experience with these issues and this unit? Any comments/suggestions?
isn't the unisteer rack installed on u-bolts to the brackets?..if so have a look at rolling it down some to lessen the steering u-joint angle. thats what i did on the unisteer rack for my first gen camaro

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Cruizer
Me and mine friend orderd 2 r&p steering racks from Unisteer and we get 1 with full bracket wich i have now and 1 with just the ears wich are on mine friends 55
The r&p is made for stock cars so oilpan, headers,aftermarket heads means trouble
I made a connection from the column to the r&p with 3 ujoints thats the only solution see the picture
And no you cant slide the rack to one side
Hans

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pic Hans, a friend suggested the same solution (3 u - joints) i just wasn't sure i wanted to go there ... i will probably keep the rack as i have another 57 (4-door) that i planned on fixing to use as a daily driver - and that one will probably be the recipient of the r/p (it will be pretty much stock) -and the thought of moving the rack to the driver side didn't sit well with me, but i thought i 'd bring it up to get some feedback. Once again thanks for the pic.:tu

·
Registered
234 Posts
Rack shaft & U-joints

Hi guy's, I just installed a rack from oldeday's classic cars and used 2 u-joints. I have tons of room with headers, use 67 & up Camaro. Your job looks nice, your column looks shorter sticking out of the fire wall than mine. I have the stock column. T

·
Registered
1 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts