Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my clock repaired and reinstalled as it has not worked since I have had the car, some 25 years; however the clock only works with the ignition turned on. It has the original plug and the wires all seem to be correct colors as is the original harness, but I am thinking this cannot be the case as it should have constant power. Someone rerouted the wiring at some time in the past? Any trouble shooting ideas or fixes? Thank you. Dave

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,078 Posts
I recently had my clock repaired and reinstalled as it has not worked since I have had the car, some 25 years; however the clock only works with the ignition turned on. It has the original plug and the wires all seem to be correct colors as is the original harness, but I am thinking this cannot be the case as it should have constant power. Someone rerouted the wiring at some time in the past? Any trouble shooting ideas or fixes? Thank you. Dave
The clock should be wired to the same orange constant power wire that powers the glove box light. http://www.trifive.com/garage/57 Chevy Assembly Manual/12-11.gif ..Does the glove box light without the key on?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Mine works the same way. The only thing I'm thinking is to save the battery. I'm not sure how much power they draw if the car sat there for a few weeks!

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
The clocks draw a peak current each time the solenoid energizes.
I would disconnect the clock during storage or use a battery tender.
The solenoid coil tends to burn out when the battery is going flat because it stays energized.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts