Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of using a sedan cowl on a 57 convertible. I have done this on a 56 and it did fine. However, vendors show that 57 convertibles and 57 sedans have different Door Jamb to "A" Pillar Reinforcements. When comparing the two there is a slight difference in the two parts but the Cowl to Floor Brace seems to fit well against the 57 sedan "A" Pillar Reinforcement As a matter of fact the convertible replacement part is the same as used on all 55' and 56's and it is different from the original 57 convertible part as best I can tell. So, is there a problem with leaving the sedan "A" Pillar Reinforcement in place and installing the Cowl to Floor Brace to it and to the floor?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Not sure what the 57 sedan reinforcement is like but the repo A-pillar braces sure weren't the same as what I had in my '55. I just used the lower part of the foot and even then I had to heat and beat to get it to fit up to the top part of the original.

The '55 had a reinforcing plate on both sides that is behind the brace and goes between the inner rocker and the outer rocker. That is what the brace welds to.

If you can fit the brace so the hole in the foot of it is centered over the hole in the floor I would say you are good to go.

Ernie

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,816 Posts
I have done this plenty of times. Yes the repro parts are not exact, few are. I start with getting the bottom lined up and clamped so there is plenty of access to the bolt head. Then I use clamps to pull the top in. Even so I have to bend and trim the parts to fit.

Another thing you will need to deal with is the bracket on the toe board the kick panel is held in place with. The angle is different on a convertible to clear the same brace. It is also moved higher up.

Mikey

Mikey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts