Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over a year and a half of steady work, the 57 Corvette finally went home last Sunday! The car was represented as a car that was blasted and primed and only needed blocking and paint, but as soon as it rolled off the roll-back, it was clear the car was going to need absolutely everything. The car sat at another Corvette shop for years, and they had robbed many of the one-year only parts from the car. The car drove into their shop in 2007, so I know the parts were there! The car clearly sat out in the weather at least part of the time. The engine was completely frozen and we had to take the pistons out with a air chisel!

All in all, it came out very nice, but the owner dropped a bunch of money on parts, not to mention the labor, but he is tickled to death with the finshed product.

Regards, John McGraw

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
looks good to me almost had one years ago but I was too young and too poor. thanks for sharing. :shakehands::gba:

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
Looks stunning! What a beautiful car!

·
Registered
65,783 Posts
nice job, looking good. :tu

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Beautiful!:tu

·
Registered
27,727 Posts
It is Beautiful. Mike

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any photos of what the car looked like when you first received it?
Here is hw it came to me. The body had been disassembled, media blasted, and primed. Unfortunately, they did not repair any of the cracking, they just primed over them! They also blasted through some of the corners and just filled them with filler and primed. I had to strip most of the primer off and repair a bunch of the body. All of the body mounts had also been broken out and poorly repaired sometime in the past. When I put the body on the rotisserie, and flipped it upside down, all the mounts fell out! They had repaired the mounts by putting a piece of corrugated cardboard in each mount, and covering with 1 layer of woven glass cloth on each side. I had to completely replace the glass in every body mount.

The engine was totally trashed. all the pistons were rusted solid in the bores, and we took them out with an air chisel. The cam was flat on 2 lobes, and all the rockers were worn badly on the tips. A .030 bore cleaned it all up and we were able to re-use the original block, crank, and heads. Pretty much everything else had to be replaced. The frame had several rusted out spots, and I cut out the rusted areas and welded new metal in place. After grinding the welds, you can not even see where the frame was repaired. After I blasted the frame, I epoxy primed it and shot two coats of single stage urethane finish on it, flattened to a semi-gloss sheen

Regards, John McGraw

·
Premium Member
10,299 Posts
What a job! Many thanks for posting the photos. Really shows the challenges and makes the finished product that much more impressive!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Bout time you got done messing with that plastic piece of crap. :sign0020:
I don't even want to think about what it cost to do that car.

Show us the 56 Chevy...

·
Registered
15,179 Posts
Man,i gotta say you did a heck of a job. How long did it take overall from start to finish? Excellent work. :tu :tu :shakehands:

·
Registered
27,727 Posts
I bet your happy, Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts