Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my C1 Corvette that we call the 'X model'.. (built in the early sixties from parts of several different C1 corvettes... Has a lot of '57 parts, including the radiator but is on a '60 frame, 60 trim and titled as a '60.

I've completely built an 0.080" over 283 .. balanced, carefully assembled and just rebuilt the T10 trans, have a new clutch/pressure plate and am close to installing the engine/trans, but the radiator has been out of the car for 20 yrs, sitting dry inside my garage. I am preparing to haul it to a radiator shop to have it cleaned/pressure tested, but just noticed there are fairly inexpensive (<$200) aluminum radiators available for these cars. This car will never be an NCRS car, but I do want a reliable car that 'looks' correct.

Any recommendations from you C1 guys as to which way I should go?

What's the best source for radiator hoses?

·
Premium Member
13,228 Posts
I've been working on my C1 Corvette that we call the 'X model'.. (built in the early sixties from parts of several different C1 corvettes... Has a lot of '57 parts, including the radiator but is on a '60 frame, 60 trim and titled as a '60.

I've completely built an 0.080" over 283 .. balanced, carefully assembled and just rebuilt the T10 trans, have a new clutch/pressure plate and am close to installing the engine/trans, but the radiator has been out of the car for 20 yrs, sitting dry inside my garage. I am preparing to haul it to a radiator shop to have it cleaned/pressure tested, but just noticed there are fairly inexpensive (<$200) aluminum radiators available for these cars. This car will never be an NCRS car, but I do want a reliable car that 'looks' correct.

Any recommendations from you C1 guys as to which way I should go?

What's the best source for radiator hoses?
I used a becool in my 61 restomod and it worked awesome.

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
I also recommend the BeCool. Paint it black to look more original.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Gary,

I would look into see attached DeWitts link
https://www.dewitts.com/collections/corvette-aluminum-radiators/products/1955-1960-aluminum-radiator-no-cooler. Would be a better fit and quality in my corvette opinion. As you noted with it being non original no need to rebuild existing and if my memory is correct the fin pattern on the 57 org core is very unique and I only one of one place in Ohio to acquire a match. If your current radiator is original to the 57 should be worth some money as the tanks with TAG have value.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
57F tag ... I have a shop cleaning and checking for leaks... will update.

PS. I've also heard that the Dewitts' Rad is the choice of most Corvette folks who need a rad for their C1... several friends who went that way..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts