Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to install a 1957 Chevy instrument cluster upper chrome moulding and it just does not fit! Brand new from Danchuk with tabs to hold in place but it does not even go on. The paint may be a little thick, but it is not THAT thick. Anyone else had this problem? It is the long one that goes all around the cluster before it gets reinstalled. Help! Please....:hammer:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poor quality control

The problem is that the tabs are too short I think. Have contacted the maker. Thanks-

·
Registered
8 Posts
drubekrb, how did you ever make out with the trim problem? I ordered the same trim piece from Classic Industries and it's not even close to fitting. It looks like it's missing some bends compared to the original.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I ordered the Danchuk piece... I noticed that you really had to work it onto the outer edge of the cluster so that it would seat and then bend the tabs around... that was a bit of a challenge, but it worked...

Gil

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Turns out it was not Danchuk, but Gene Smith (Classic Industries). I returned it to Gene Smith, very nice people. They sent me a new one, I have not received it yet. But they say it should have fit in the first place. Now I am having fitment problems all over the place, more non-fit than fit! Did not take the dash apart, so do not have that history to help. Trying to figure out how to install the light switch, it fits flush against the back of the dash, but the ferrule screw going into it is not long enuf after putting on the ill fitting stock design dash panels. Does not reach. All new parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine also came from Gene Smith via Classic Ind. I contacted CI with my problem and they said to simply send it back. I'm not convinced that the customer service person understood that it was the correct part but just didn't fit. I have the stock one that fits perfectly but has some rust so maybe I'll try to re-do it.

Mason

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine also came from Gene Smith via Classic Ind. I contacted CI with my problem and they said to simply send it back. I'm not convinced that the customer service person understood that it was the correct part but just didn't fit. I have the stock one that fits perfectly but has some rust so maybe I'll try to re-do it.

Mason
Received my new one from Gene Smith. Exactly the same problem. The top of my cluster is 1/4" wide, and even if the chrome did get all the way on, the tab would still not be long enough. Waiting to hear from them again. I do not have the old trim piece to compare them. I even ground down the top to try and get the trim to press on farther, but no good. The bend seems wrong too. How wide should the top of the cluster be? Good to know that I am not alone....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Mason
The 2nd one from Gene Smith did not fit either. I got on the phone with Mr. Nomad here in Washington state and he measured his Danchuk brand and we compared it. His is different. I ordered one from him now and hope it fits!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered a Danchuk and it fit perfectly, so there are different cluster sizes out there. Returning the Gene Smith one, but that company was not at fault, the trim fit the clusters they have. But my cluster is different. Happy camper.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts