Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy new dash trim for my 57 belair. Who has the best quality and fit? Ecklers or Danchuk? Ecklers has 15% off now and that will cover shipping to my address but If I have to pay a little more for a better fit I will. Thanks.
Tom

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,705 Posts
Who has the best quality and fit? Ecklers or Danchuk?Tom
Tom....More than likey Eckler's gets theirs from Danchuk....Gene Smith sounds like a good alternative to me.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Any chance of restoring the one you have as there has been discussions here on fitment of aftermarket ones.One of mine fits bad and the clear coat is pealing.I polished and restored an original one for my other car.It came out beautiful.Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
11,684 Posts
I redid an original and it fit terrific and looked pretty good. Not all thatbdifficult to redo.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Tom,
Where do you see 15% off?? I need to buy a Raingear unit? I found a 10% ad but will take another 5% :):)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any chance of restoring the one you have as there has been discussions here on fitment of aftermarket ones.One of mine fits bad and the clear coat is pealing.I polished and restored an original one for my other car.It came out beautiful.Just a thought.
I started on restoring mine today but they have some dents and will also need repainted. If I keep at it I can probably save them. I have the right side one straightned and polished and it looks well, not perfect but very presentable. I started on the center and spent about 1 1/2 hrs on it and it will probably take another hour to get it looking good, I guess I will finish them and put them in the car and see if I will be satisfied with them before I get new ones. I will check into the Gene Smith repos.
Tom

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well no luck on getting Dash trim from Gene Smith. He does not have any listed on his online site. I think I will call Cases tomorrow and see what he is selling. I have had good luck with everything he has sold me.
Tom

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Well no luck on getting Dash trim from Gene Smith. He does not have any listed on his online site. I think I will call Cases tomorrow and see what he is selling. I have had good luck with everything he has sold me.
Tom
I got my '55 trim from Case's, it was Danchuks but fit very nice. I need to stop over and check out your progress.

·
Premium Member
13,592 Posts
Tom
I forgot to mention that that site kinda sucks. They have WAY more parts than whats on the site. Don't know why they don't update it, but take my word for it, there's much more available. Best to give them a call.

As far as fit goes, I'm not going to claim that everything is exact because it's not. For a guy that wants everything to be within 1 millimeter, the repop stuff is not the way to go. I've found my parts to be close enough, and like I said the quality of detail and workmanship is astounding.
Good luck, Dan

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
I got one for my 57 from Merv's, it too was from Danchuk - looks & fits well.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got my '55 trim from Case's, it was Danchuks but fit very nice. I need to stop over and check out your progress.
Not much progress this year. Been busy with farming and gardening and yard work. When I get a little time I work on polishing trim etc. I have a tractor cab to restore and put on one of our tractors before fall, hope to move the 57 back into the shop after it is done and get back on it.
Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts