Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dash trim is in good condition. However, the paint has faded in the recessed waffle like backing. Has anyone repainted this? If so what was your proceedure to leave the black paint where it belongs and have the aluminum trim kept in stock condition??:confused:

·
Registered
688 Posts
here is what I did, I used lacquer thinner and washed the part real good with that, it pretty much took out all the old paint, I then buffed the part, mostly on the outside large areas where there will be no paint, then again washed with lacquer thinner, Tape off the larger outer areas with masking tape and then spray a very light coat of black spray bomb lacquer paint, do this a couple times till your sure it is just coated, you dont want to build it up to much, let this dry overnight, take some 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper and lightly go over the pattern just hard enough to hit only the high spots, once you sand off all the high areas you can take a little buffing compound like 3m finesse and light buff the part, dont rub to the point where your going down below the high areas, keep the rag tight to your finger

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is what I did, I used lacquer thinner and washed the part real good with that, it pretty much took out all the old paint, I then buffed the part, mostly on the outside large areas where there will be no paint, then again washed with lacquer thinner, Tape off the larger outer areas with masking tape and then spray a very light coat of black spray bomb lacquer paint, do this a couple times till your sure it is just coated, you dont want to build it up to much, let this dry overnight, take some 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper and lightly go over the pattern just hard enough to hit only the high spots, once you sand off all the high areas you can take a little buffing compound like 3m finesse and light buff the part, dont rub to the point where your going down below the high areas, keep the rag tight to your finger
:D Blackie thanks for that tip I'll get on it soon and let y'all know how it comes out!:cool:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
haven't painted mine yet, I hope when I clean my trim and polish it I won't have to, looks in pretty good shape if I don't mess it up.

I'll try to get time to count them in the next 10-15 years
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts