Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does a stock liftgate strut look like? I have one from a swap meet but I think it's for a wagon, what's the difference? This one bolts on but I don't know if it will support the weight of the door and it can be locked in the open position, but a pain to unlock both sides at once. Catalogs show gas struts but only for wagons. Anybody try adapting one of these things? A picture of a stocker would help as well. thanks

·
Premium Member
16,187 Posts
What does a stock liftgate strut look like? I have one from a swap meet but I think it's for a wagon, what's the difference? This one bolts on but I don't know if it will support the weight of the door and it can be locked in the open position, but a pain to unlock both sides at once. Catalogs show gas struts but only for wagons. Anybody try adapting one of these things? A picture of a stocker would help as well. thanks
From the sound of your description you have a wagon support. The Nomad support will not bolt on so you have ruled that out. The wagon supports are a left & right style that will bolt on but are not quite as long and have a button you need to flip with your thumb to let it down. The delivery supports are the same left & right. They have no button and to release, you just lift up again and it will let the gate down. Very similar to the early Vette hood support. I have a picture here somewhere and will post it here if I can find it. I don't think the gas struts will be strong enough to properly support the delivery gate.

-Bruce

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
That's news to me. I thought i had original lift supports in my Delivery (owned since '78) . I have the flip button on mine. They hold the door up high. You have to release one then the other to close.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The delivery supports are the same left & right. They have no button and to release, you just lift up again and it will let the gate down.
Delivery door supports you push up on the door, to release the support so it'll collapse and you can close the door.

Only Wagon lift gate supports have the buttons on them you clip to release the support.

But as fas as I know there is a left & right side to Delivery door supports.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts