Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Dr Hrdtp
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was all 57 third members red oxide primer from factory or were they painted black. Especially the "P" case units?

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,984 Posts
GM issued a bulletin that stated that all diffs would be painted black after mid April of 57. Most posi units with the P cast in them were made after that. You need to look at the casting date to be 100% certain.

This is one that was cast in Feb of 57, and is redoxide. Note it has the "thin P"

Mikey
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Bumper Red

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Was this about the same time they switched to silver wheels? Both my diff (red oxide) and wheels (red) would appear be incorrect for an August build. Not going to change either. I like it the way it is.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Was this about the same time they switched to silver wheels?
My '57 was built around July 22nd, and I prefer body color rims (Onyx Black), even though the GM memo suggests they should be silver.
My spare is possibly an original rim, and it is Onyx Black.

·
Registered
788 Posts
My spare is possibly an original rim, and it is Onyx Black.
Perhaps I spoke too soon.
Where the spare rim is scratched, I see silver underneath a poor black paint job.
But when I eventually media blast the five original rims I collected, they will be painted Onyx Black from some rattle cans I ordered from paintscratch.com

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I wasn’t looking to steel the thread. I was just curious if these changes in paint for these parts where issued the same time?

·
Registered
1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Dr Hrdtp
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GM issued a bulletin that stated that all diffs would be painted black after mid April of 57. Most posi units with the P cast in them were made after that. You need to look at the casting date to be 100% certain.

This is one that was cast in Feb of 57, and is redoxide. Note it has the "thin P"

Mikey
View attachment 351180
Mikey,
Thanks for the info. Would it have been satin frame black or gloss??
Glenn

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,984 Posts
Mikey,
Thanks for the info. Would it have been satin frame black or gloss??
Glenn
Satin.
I wasn’t looking to steel the thread. I was just curious if these changes in paint for these parts where issued the same time?
Yes both changes appeared about the same time. The silver wheels was ONLY on the B/A models. This was done because so many dealers were complaining about new owners not wanting to pay for
White wall tires. By painting ALL B/A wheels silver allowed them to swap tire and rim rather than unmounting the W/W tire to change to black wall tires.

Mikey

Reactions: 57R’villeHT

·
Registered
738 Posts
"
This is one that was cast in Feb of 57, and is redoxide. Note it has the "thin P" Mikey"

Thin "P", Detroit built, single digit date code and where all Corvettes center sections were produced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts