Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver door rear view mirror has gotten loose on the "ball" joint that the round mirror is mounted on. Is there a way to tighten that up?

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Probably not without taking it apart. There is a flat spring attached to the head inside which presses on the ball part of the mirror head. This spring has probably become detached or loose. I would suggest an application of super glue on the ball and quickly adjusting it where you want it to stay. This may or may not work.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the thread. very interesting, I will have to give it a try. I don't like rattly mirror syndrome.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soaking the mirror now, will post what I do when I get the mirror out. Give me a chance to clean and polish the paint underneath the mirror body.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I've been soaking that mirror for a day now and it is still snug. Don't know what is holding it in back there but it's not giving up easy. Even put a suction cup on the mirror to try to loosen it off but it's not surrendering.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
If you have an original mirror then you can soak it until the cows come home with no effect. The glass is held in by the chrome backing being rolled over the edge. You can't get the glass out without either bending the frame or breaking the glass. You'll have to attack your problen at the pivot as previously described.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, i could see it was rolled but gave it a shot anyway. The cows have come home and I will be getting a repro (this mirror was a repro too). I don't think there is any feasible way to fix this from the ball/socket side.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Yes, i could see it was rolled but gave it a shot anyway. The cows have come home and I will be getting a repro (this mirror was a repro too). I don't think there is any feasible way to fix this from the ball/socket side.
If you're resigned to getting a replacement, it shouldn't hurt to first try the superglue method. It's a heck of a lot cheaper. Put the mirror on the car, drip two or three drops of superglue on the ball, wiggle the mirror around to spread the glue around on the ball then hold the mirror in its final position for a few seconds while the glue sets. If that doesn't work, try the same thing with two-part epoxy glue. Just make sure the mirror is set how you want it while the glue hardens because you won't be adjusting it any more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts