Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed drum and all bolts fron backing plate. Attached slide hammer to axle but axle will not come out? Need help can i heat up the outside of the housing will that help?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Sometimes the paper seal is still between the retainer and the back plate.Might want to get it loose.
It takes quite a bit of force to get the axle out.
Just keep jerking on the slide hammer till it moves.Watch those fingers!
In the old days we would hook 10' of heavy chain to the lugs,add an old heavy steel wheel to the end and throw it away from the axle as hard as we could.Sometimes it took several tries!
If you heat it,you may set the grease and o-ring on fire,but may help.
Mike.:bowtieb:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I always use the brake drum reversed over the wheel studs and the lug nuts reversed threaded on about 4 threads. Always comes out, if it don,t, there's something else stopping it.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
When I did this for a living, I use to use about a 10" piece of chain putting it on the lugs at two opposite studs, putting the nuts on over the end of the chain ends on the studs, then I would put an old drive shaft through the chain loop, put one hand on each side and jerk on the drive shaft. Sometimes it took several jerks, but it always came out sooner or later. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts