Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on deleting the fresh air tubes.
I have the front clip off and in process of cleaning up the engine compartment. Will be installing after market a/c and don,t need a heater. Besides there is not much fresh air left. Is there any reason to keep em it's a weekend driver.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Just blank them off. You don't need them with the new AC. I want to keep mine , but Im going to need to find a better way to valve them open and shut.

·
Administrator
66,188 Posts
There are round caps that are used to blank them off.

If the A/C does not interfere with the install you could leave them :anim_25:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,025 Posts
I welded up the holes in the firewall and removed the tubes completely, except you need something to fasten the headlight buckets to, I cut the front few inches off the front tubes and blocked the back off to fasten the headlight buckets to.
Almost all the aftermarket A/C units have provisions for defrost vents except the under dash units.

Attachments

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
I don't understand why people say you don't need them with A/C. The A/C has no provision to incorporate fresh air venting. You are either running the A/C recirculating the inside air or you have no air coming in. The A/C blower in Vintage Air is real loud and I don't want to have it running unless its real hot out. In moderate weather I like the venting blowing in on me and not having wind noise from the windows or the sound of the blower going.

I use the passenger side to bring in cool air to the engine compartment and keep the driver side working as designed.

And regarding the defroster yes the VA comes with a defroster, doesn't work great, but works.

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
my 57 didn't have when I got it (does have ac too). here are some pics. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I'm guessing a Milo is something you boys down under know about:sign0020: The VA system comes with a plastic one with it.
Sorry about that Randy, I assumed Milo was a world wide product.
Milo is a granular chocolate product that you mix with milk for drinking. A similar product is called " Quick " are you familiar with that one

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Sorry about that Randy, I assumed Milo was a world wide product.
Milo is a granular chocolate product that you mix with milk for drinking. A similar product is called " Quick " are you familiar with that one
Yep Nestle Quick is something we all grew up with in the states. They make it in liquid too. Thanks for the info, probably could have looked it up on Google I guess. You guys have Ovaltine?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Yep Nestle Quick is something we all grew up with in the states. They make it in liquid too. Thanks for the info, probably could have looked it up on Google I guess. You guys have Ovaltine?
Yes we also have Ovaltine, and I would have a guess and say that Ovaltine was the original chocolate drink down here, before Quick and Milo.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think its a good idea to retain the fresh air system. I deleted mine many years ago when it was a race car. When I changed it over to a street car those ducts were long gone, but I wish I had them now.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I closed mine off.

as there was no need for fresh air vent, and I do have windows,
my blower on low is very quiet, and makes nice air flow,
but its from Southern Rods.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,025 Posts
That's the way I feel, if it's cool enough to open the vents, it's cool enough to "hardtop it" with ALL the windows down and wing windows open. Arm on the window sill and a grin on my face. :)

·
Administrator
49,512 Posts
I personally kept the fresh air ducts. I like them when driving down the highway and not using the a/c. Vintage air makes it possible to keep them, not sure on other manufacturers though.
And Vintage air does have defrost and new ducts.
Terry

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
That's the way I feel, if it's cool enough to open the vents, it's cool enough to "hardtop it" with ALL the windows down and wing windows open. Arm on the window sill and a grin on my face. :)
I agree 100% plus i don't have A/C on my car so that's the only way to cruise for us. Heck, I have been known to cruise windows down and the heater on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts