Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Chevy produced any fuel injected 57's with a 4 speed manual transmission?

Is there any way to tell if a 57 is a production fuel injected car by it's vin or cowl tag?

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,953 Posts
Does anyone know if Chevy produced any fuel injected 57's with a 4 speed manual transmission?

Is there any way to tell if a 57 is a production fuel injected car by it's vin or cowl tag?
No data to the engine or drive train is on the VIN or cowl tag, with one exception. V-8 Cars had a V as the first part of the VIN. But that was all.

Chevy never rolled a 4-speed full size passenger car off the assembly line in 57.

Dealers could do just about anything, but GM never provided any data on how to do it. All the 4 speed tail shaft housings seen on "original" 57 passenger cars have had a later date code then would have been used during production of the passenger cars. Those that did had a corvette shifter on them, but not for a bench seat......Hurst came out with the first Bench seat shifter handle years later.

What legends are made of...."pure speculation"

Mikey

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Testing in 56

I know for fact that there were 56 wagons outfitted w/ 4 speeds during Pikes Peak hill climb tests. The back of the wagons had a lot of test gear in them. I was there.

We had the only NHRA legal stocker, [a flawless 2dr ht..Red] at Indy for 2 yrs.
The rules said any gears in a stock case. [One of the benefits of having engineers, machinists, and heat treat available. I'd bet that trans cost $10K!!]:sign0020:

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
So there were NO SPECIAL ORDERS ever, in 1967 -1957 asking for the car to be fitted with 283 FI and a 4 speed ?Mike

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
I know for fact that there were 56 wagons outfitted w/ 4 speeds during Pikes Peak hill climb tests. The back of the wagons had a lot of test gear in them. I was there.

We had the only NHRA legal stocker, [a flawless 2dr ht..Red] at Indy for 2 yrs.
The rules said any gears in a stock case. [One of the benefits of having engineers, machinists, and heat treat available. I'd bet that trans cost $10K!!]:sign0020:
Old Buzzard Did you happen to know Dale Reick? He was a test driver for Chevy 55 56 57 58 era Up Pikes Peak. Hill Climb Racer too. Chevy stopped driving up the Peak, I hear Ford still tests up the Pikes Peak Hill. Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
57 Four Speed

Hey guys, just through I would pass this along. I found it on the following link: superchevy.com there is an article 57 Chevy 50th Anniversary - The "Hottest One's " Anniversary.

According to this article Chevy contracted with Borg-Warner to create a four speed transmission that became available April 9th, 1957 about six months into the 57's calendar year production.

It states that approximately 2,000 57's were supplied with this 4 speed transmission. and 664 Corvettes.

Anyway just wanted to share what I had found.

Thank you all for the responses, I came across this California 57 FI car that looks to be the real deal but it had a 4 speed and that made me wonder, I always thought that there wasn't a 4 speed available in that model year, but this article says that they were available and provided in the production models but in a limited amount.

Everything else on the car looks to be 100% original, this California car has been garaged for over 50 years, only 49K original miles, not one spot of rust and in pristine condition. I was told that shortly after the car was purchased that the engine was blown and the dealership replaced the entire engine.

Have some pics if anyone is interested Email me and I will be happy to share and would be very happy to have any comments. I am still verifying that the car is the real deal and any help would be greatly appreciated. [email protected]

Thanks again for the comments.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts

No.

John: Call Dave Fletcher from Ecklers. He is the original tech guy.
I believe he is located in Brentwood area and is one of the state reps for Cali.

David Fletcher
Brentwood, CA
(925) 634-7842
[email protected]

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Never heard of a Muncie in 58. I do have a T 10 Borg Warner 4 speed out of a 58 Corvette though. Wasn't Muncie later like used in the Malibu's Chevelles and later the Camaros. My brother has a 65 Malibu SS has a factory 4 speed Muncie in it. Mike

·
Registered
337 Posts
There were "NO" 1957 Chevs that came from the factory with four speeds.
I think part of the confusion on this come from the bulletin that first announced them. It stated that they would be available on Corvettes and passenger cars. They were not even available to be dealer installed as they only had a few extra for service replacement (on Corvettes).
I know several people have tried to find (and document) a real 4 speed passenger car and haven't located one yet.

·
Registered
38,446 Posts
Joe, the first Muncie 4 speeds were built in 1963. All the 4 speeds from the start in 1957 Corvettes until mid year 1963 in all models were Borg Warner T-10 transmissions.

NHRA, for whatever reason, allowed 4 speeds in stock class 1957 cars. None were factory installed, but they were "available" for dealer installation.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Joe, the first Muncie 4 speeds were built in 1963. All the 4 speeds from the start in 1957 Corvettes until mid year 1963 in all models were Borg Warner T-10 transmissions.

NHRA, for whatever reason, allowed 4 speeds in stock class 1957 cars. None were factory installed, but they were "available" for dealer installation.

NHRA new that cast iron powerglides were a POS.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts