Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,655 Posts
Copy of Bulleten

There were "NO" 1957 Chevs that came from the factory with four speeds.
I think part of the confusion on this come from the bulletin that first announced them. It stated that they would be available on Corvettes and passenger cars. They were not even available to be dealer installed as they only had a few extra for service replacement (on Corvettes).
I know several people have tried to find (and document) a real 4 speed passenger car and haven't located one yet.
Chevy Service News-May 1957

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if Chevy produced any fuel injected 57's with a 4 speed manual transmission?

Is there any way to tell if a 57 is a production fuel injected car by it's vin or cowl tag?
I can guarantee there were some with dealer installed Fulie 4 speed 57 chevys I know where there is 1 with less than 500 miles on it NOT RESTORED NOT A REBUILD (that is the only miles it has accumulated since 1957 AND I CAN PROVE IT!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There were "NO" 1957 Chevs that came from the factory with four speeds.
I think part of the confusion on this come from the bulletin that first announced them. It stated that they would be available on Corvettes and passenger cars. They were not even available to be dealer installed as they only had a few extra for service replacement (on Corvettes).
I know several people have tried to find (and document) a real 4 speed passenger car and haven't located one yet.
Wrong

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,953 Posts
Same old song......until the car is shown and the world can see it, it is all just talk and BS. Every one that has come forward has been proven to
be a clone or old build with later casting dates on the tranny. And oh by, the way a custom made shifter for the passenger car bench seat. Only
shifter available in 57 was the Corvette small straight stick used with BUCKET SEATS.

Mikey

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,515 Posts
It's amazing how much misinformation and old wives tales continue to circle around the debate about 57 Chevys with a "factory" 4sp.
YES, YES, YES, YES, YES ------------------- there was for a fact a 4sp transmission installed in a HANDFUL, repeat, HANDFUL of 1956 Corvettes. They were modified German ZF 4sp transmissions --------------------------- and it so happens, this is in fact documented. As best as has been determined, these transmissions were installed in ONLY Corvettes that weere setup and modified for the Mar, 1956 Sebring race. Were some of these ZF 4spds used in 1956 Pikes Peak pass cars? I have :NEVER seen, nor have I ever heard of a 56 Pikes Peak 56 sedan with a 4sp.
Also, sorta kinda related to this, we all know (well, most of us know) that Positraction was NOT an option until the 57 model year (introduced late Dec 56). BUUUUUUUUUUUUT, again, it is documented that the 56 Sebring Corvettes DID HAVE a posi style rear Called Hi-Torque, and the case had HT stamped on it. For years I've tried to locate one so that I could see just what is inside it. No such luck.

SO, bottom line, the Borg Warner T-10 4sp was officially available (as mentioned above) Apr 9, 1957. It was ONLY available in Corvettes, NOT pass cars. It had a cast iron main case and alum tale housing and side cover. OH, BUT WAIT, there WAS an EXPERIMENTAL, repeat, EXPERIMENTAL alum case BW T-10 in 1957 (it's documented with pictures!!!!!!!), and it still exists. Anyone here know what it was installed in???????????????

·
Registered
725 Posts
Does anyone know if Chevy produced any fuel injected 57's with a 4 speed manual transmission?

Is there any way to tell if a 57 is a production fuel injected car by it's vin or cowl tag?
I was told that the steering housing that came from the firewall was made different take a look in that area to see that the housing is smooth no cut out for the shifting arm if it was for a pg or stick let me know what you find
[email protected] a picture would be nice if i'm right
Larry chevyman57

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If 4 speeds were to have been used in 57 passenger cars there would have been a shifter available. he only shifter in the 57 Chevy Master Parts Book is for Corvette, and there was only one place to mount that shifter and that was the 3 bosses at the very back of the tail housing, placing the shifter UNDER the seat,. I saw a 57 that had a Corvette shifter in the 60'sand the seat had been cut back with a cove to fit the shifter. The car still had the column shifter sticking up as a decoy.
Bob Drennan had a black 57 BA hardtop with a dated 57 4 speed but I later found out where the 4 speed came from. It was a slick job and it fooled a lot of people for a lot of years. I still have a tracing of the shape of the shifter. I copied it by welding 2 59 and later shifters together, for a car I built for Bob Wingate, in 79 or 80. I later found out he had sold it as an original 57 4 speed car, even though the trans was a 1960 4 speed with the 5 boss tail housing, to move the shifter forward, to clear the seat. Wingate eventually went to jail, but not for that deal.

·
11,953 Posts
If 4 speeds were to have been used in 57 passenger cars there would have been a shifter available. he only shifter in the 57 Chevy Master Parts Book is for Corvette, and there was only one place to mount that shifter and that was the 3 bosses at the very back of the tail housing, placing the shifter UNDER the seat,. I saw a 57 that had a Corvette shifter in the 60'sand the seat had been cut back with a cove to fit the shifter. The car still had the column shifter sticking up as a decoy.
Bob Drennan had a black 57 BA hardtop with a dated 57 4 speed but I later found out where the 4 speed came from. It was a slick job and it fooled a lot of people for a lot of years. I still have a tracing of the shape of the shifter. I copied it by welding 2 59 and later shifters together, for a car I built for Bob Wingate, in 79 or 80. I later found out he had sold it as an original 57 4 speed car, even though the trans was a 1960 4 speed with the 5 boss tail housing, to move the shifter forward, to clear the seat. Wingate eventually went to jail, but not for that deal.
Could be that this is the one the new poster is claiming to know about........it's a strange world out there these days

Mikey

Reactions: Dragsix

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
There is a nice 57 convertible that shows up at local car shows with a 3 speed and dealer installed overdrive. Does that count?. :ROFLMAO: Car is a survivor with new tires, fan belts and brakes sitting on re-pop coker tires. The rest is as delivered.

·
11,953 Posts
There is a nice 57 convertible that shows up at local car shows with a 3 speed and dealer installed overdrive. Does that count?. :ROFLMAO: Car is a survivor with new tires, fan belts and brakes sitting on re-pop coker tires. The rest is as delivered.
That would be considered a 5 or in some cases a 6 speed......

Mikey

• Haha
Reactions: Robert Haas
21 - 40 of 77 Posts