Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
This thread reminds me of the time I had my 56 at the Shrine Car Show and one of the insisted he had the same 3x2 setup as I have on my 56 on his brand new 57 Chevy, never mind that Chevy did not offer 3x2s until 58 on the 348.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,953 Posts
Of course, as I have explained in the past, a 4sp, such as a Muncie, can always be shifted with a stock 3sp column shifter using some simple ingenuity and some MINOR fabrication of rods.
Yup and a pull cable under the dash labeled Overdrive to get reverse......

Mikey

Reactions: TheHotrodHandyman

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
Keeping this going ...

There's few learned 567 guys on a FB group I follow who reckon (for sure) that GM made 4 speeds available for passenger cars mid 1957 and that they were sanctioned for Junior Stock so put into 150s. It was too late in the season for the SEDCO cars, so would have been other teams/privateers.

Would this have been possible ... and what would have been the shifter?

Also, did the 150 race cars get bucket seats put in them? (Hence the possibility of an adapted Corvette floor shift?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Keeping this going ...

There's few learned 567 guys on a FB group I follow who reckon (for sure) that GM made 4 speeds available for passenger cars mid 1957 and that they were sanctioned for Junior Stock so put into 150s. It was too late in the season for the SEDCO cars, so would have been other teams/privateers.

Also, did the 150 race cars get bucket seats put in them? (Hence the possibility of an adapted Corvette floor shift?
Sounds like a fairy tail to me.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
What would have been the earliest year for this shifter?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
zookpr said:
A bit more if one wants to cleanup the part of the column extending into the engine compartment.
[/QUOI
Is this the same robert hass that lives in Calif as a COP who use to deal in vega parts or is not a cop anymore?
Whatz up with the above?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What would have been the earliest year for this shifter?

View attachment 369407
That shifter looks like one of my Hurst shifters. Nice job on the seat upholstering but it looks like they used some Bel Air sedan ribbed vinyl. Buckets were only factory in sedan deliveries, but still a nice job and especially a 4 speed race car, like mine. You would be hard pressed to find a 58 with a factory 4 speed let alone a 57.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Keeping this going ...

As I've mentioned before, there was an announcement in the Chevrolet Service News (I think April 1957 but I could be off by a month either way) of the 4 speed for both the Corvette and passenger car.

However - there is no 1957 passenger car 4 speed shifter mechanism listed in the November 1957 Master Parts Catalog, nor the 1960 and 1962 editions I have. But there are listings for the parts for the 1957 Corvette and 1958 passenger car shifters.

What happened at a dealership after the car arrived was whatever it was. Some racing classes (as I understand) allowed any part to be used that had a GM part number. But, as far as coming from the factory with a 4 speed - no part number, no factory build.

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,515 Posts
REGARDLESS of how or what your opinion is/was regarding a 4sp in a 57 passenger car, it is a true fact that the B-W T-10 4sp was available from your local Chevy parts dept (the 57 Corvette Assembly Manual shows Apr 9 for official availability). For the average joe, ANY new car in 1957 was out of reach---------------------------MUCH LESS GOING TO THE PARTS DEPT AND SPENDING $200+ for a 4sp that took a little ingenuity to get it installed with a working shifter. But, the END RESULT was a cool as it gets. VERY, VERY few people wanted a no frills, plain jane 150 back in the day. Bu today, about as cool as you can get would be a "SEMI" Black widow tribute car with a 4sp and a plain steering column collar WITHOUT the knob for the column shifter.
And, speaking of bucket seats, if I remember correctly, Sedan Deliverys (or some of them) did come with a single seat only for the driver, which would be the perfect seat for such a 150.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I got into a debate some years ago with a smug know-it-all little twit - who claimed in front of a group of not-trifive-savvy guys I know - that he bought a brand-new '57 with a 4 speed, and drove it off the dealership lot so equipped. After I challenged him - more than once in the same conversation - he finally admitted he had the dealership install it.

I couldn't stand the guy for multiple reasons (and thought so well before this particular conversation).

And it wouldn't surprise me if a similar story played out on other "numbers matching date code matching" '57 4 speed cars. After all, if the T-10 was built within a few weeks plus or minus of the car itself.....

Yes - anything that could be ordered via the parts department could be put on a car by the dealer or the owner. But that's not the same as coming off the assembly line with said parts.

Also, as far as the average Joe not being able to afford a brand new car in 1957: well, some average Joes obviously could, or there wouldn't be any '57 Chevys. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
After I challenged him - more than once in the same conversation - he finally admitted he had the dealership install it.
What sort of a shifter would this car have had?

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,515 Posts
The Corvette shifter was all that was available at the time
I've only seen a 57 Corvette shifter used in a Pass car one time.
The guy that had the car (55) made and "extension" for the Corvette shifter handle. He used a length of about a 5/8in steel rod. Drilled and tapped one end to screw onto the Corvette shifter, then turned down the other end and cut threads to screw the Corvette shifter ball onto it.
That is literally where I got the ideal to do this to the shifter in the 51 over 50yrs ago when I put a Muncie in it for the first time.
I got the Muncie for $50 because it had a busted cluster and 2nd gear, which my uncle walked me through the rebuild. The Hurst shifter was "donated" from an unknown source. Still working great today.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've only seen a 57 Corvette shifter used in a Pass car one time.
The guy that had the car (55) made and "extension" for the Corvette shifter handle. He used a length of about a 5/8in steel rod. Drilled and tapped one end to screw onto the Corvette shifter, then turned down the other end and cut threads to screw the Corvette shifter ball onto it.
That is literally where I got the ideal to do this to the shifter in the 51 over 50yrs ago when I put a Muncie in it for the first time.
I got the Muncie for $50 because it had a busted cluster and 2nd gear, which my uncle walked me through the rebuild. The Hurst shifter was "donated" from an unknown source. Still working great today.
View attachment 369654
Yep the stick would have been a little short for a passenger car

61 - 77 of 77 Posts