Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is it located? My headlights work, but my dash lights don't come on. I'm thinking it may just be the fuse?

Thanks,

Sam

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
The fuse panel is on the left side wall behind the emergency brake rod. The dash lights are on the small 3 amp fuse. The dash lights have a dimmer on the headlight switch, that sometimes gets corroded and looses contact. Try rotateing the headlight knob back and forth to see if it might clean up the reheostat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still no dash lights, dome lights, radio or reverse lights.

Ok, I checked the 3 amp fuse and it was good, actually I wound up checking all the fuses and they were are good but still no dash or dome light for that matter.

I tried rotating the knob\switch CW and CCW and still no dash lights. The funny thing is my headlights, high beam indicator light (Chevy symbol lit up red when high beams are on), and all turn signals as well my brake lights work fine. Also, I have no reverse lights. I'm leaning towards some sort of wiring problems since it's highly unlikely that all those bulbs would have burned out (but still possible I guess) I replaced the dome light with a brand new bulb and it still doesn't come on :-( Any other offerings of assistance from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

57Sam http://www.trifive.com/forums/images/smilies/blowtiedb.jpg

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,789 Posts

·
27,084 Posts
I agree that the dash lights may be a bad rheostat on the light switch, but the door switches would still turn the dome light on if that was bad on the light switch.
It sounds like it may have more than one problem.
If you have a test light or meter, check for power at these places.
Check for power at the dome light socket. It has 2 contacts for the double contact bulb. One has power from the orange wire all the time. When testing, be careful not to touch the probe to anything except the small contact in the socket.
The reverse lights get power from the fuse block to the neutral safety switch. Check for power on the green wires on the neutral safety switch on the lower part of the steering column with the key on and in reverse. Move the shift lever around if no power in reverse.
As mentioned, the dash light get power from the rheostat on the light switch. From there a green wire goes to the 3 amp fuse on the fuse panel, then from the fuse on a gray wire to all the dash light bulbs. Check for power on both ends of the 3 amp fuse.
The radio also gets power from the fuse block. Check for power on it's fuse with the key on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1956 fuse box

Does any one knows where the fuse box for 1956 4 door sedan is located,my horn stop working,I put a new headliner in maybe the dome light short it out.
thanks

·
27,084 Posts
Does any one knows where the fuse box for 1956 4 door sedan is located,my horn stop working,I put a new headliner in maybe the dome light short it out.
thanks
The horn does not have a fuse and the dome light has nothing to do with the horn circuit. The horn has a relay under the hood that is energized by a ground wire to the steering column/horn ring. ....http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-17.gif ... Temporiarly short the tan wire on the relay to ground and see if the horn blows or the relay clicks. Report your findings.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hey everyone, can someone tell me which fuse is the right one for the blinkers in a 57 chevy please? I have all other lights but absolutely no blinkers!!
Thanks!

·
27,084 Posts
Hey everyone, can someone tell me which fuse is the right one for the blinkers in a 57 chevy please? I have all other lights but absolutely no blinkers!!
Thanks!
The blinkers do not have a fuse. The flasher acts as a fuse for them. The flasher opens when the load of the light bulbs is on the flasher. If there is a short the flasher opens and stays open to protect the wiring.
Try another flasher and check the connections at the plug at the bottom of the steering column.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,789 Posts
Hey everyone, can someone tell me which fuse is the right one for the blinkers in a 57 chevy please? I have all other lights but absolutely no blinkers!!Thanks!
Drew....The blinkers are not fused per say....I would check the flasher first, if none of them are working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts