Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

201 - 220 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Looks fantastic! Do the fender drops clear the body when you open it, or do you have to pull out on them to make it tilt?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Looks fantastic! Do the fender drops clear the body when you open it, or do you have to pull out on them to make it tilt?
It's hard to explain but the hinge mechanism pulls slightly up and away from firewall thereby pulling fenders appx 4 inches from doors before it starts to tilt

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
It's hard to explain but the hinge mechanism pulls slightly up and away from firewall thereby pulling fenders appx 4 inches from doors before it starts to tilt

Am I seeing a "toggle link" in the pivot point that accomplishes the up and away before it starts to tilt? If so, that's the same setup I built into my steel tilt on my '63 Falcon gasser. Mine moved about 5"-6" forward before it tilted. A really nice way to keep it all clean. And the scuff pads you used are another nice feature! Do you have matching scuff pads on the fenders or hood also?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Am I seeing a "toggle link" in the pivot point that accomplishes the up and away before it starts to tilt? If so, that's the same setup I built into my steel tilt on my '63 Falcon gasser. Mine moved about 5"-6" forward before it tilted. A really nice way to keep it all clean. And the scuff pads you used are another nice feature! Do you have matching scuff pads on the fenders or hood also?
I think that's what you call it. Still need to create slide contact points on lower part of fenders and attach the hood. I need to get it balanced so once the hood is on I can see how far off I am

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Looks phenomenal, and there’s no way your going to hit your head on the lower fender!
The pipes are still the attention getter IMO. They scream I know what I’m doing! Heck the whole car does for that matter😎
Keep building !

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Looks phenomenal, and there’s no way your going to hit your head on the lower fender!
The pipes are still the attention getter IMO. They scream I know what I’m doing! Heck the whole car does for that matter
Keep building !
Thanks so much, if I can get this front end done it goes back to my chassis guy for some floors.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Thanks Nick! I started 35 years ago as a Ford guy, graduated to Chevrolet and now I have Been Moparified or better yet, Hemified... lol. Here is my build I finished in 16, it's a 29 Dodge Brothers coupe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Wow that Hemi is just jumping out at ya!

·
Registered
511 Posts
The Hemi is a "in your face feature" on this project and not to miss the fact there will be a huffer on top the only way Hemi looks complete. I see you bailed on the slider bearings it looks like a lot of engineering and time went into the redesign. I like the fabricated gap spacers that is a great idea I might have to steal that. Your engineering, creativity and attention to detail makes this a great thread I appreciate the time you spend sharing the build. If I could only make one recommendation for the shop/garage buy a Slam-Man so when your at the Nth degree of patience at two in the morning you can punch or kick him in the head and no one gets hurt.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
The Hemi is a "in your face feature" on this project and not to miss the fact there will be a huffer on top the only way Hemi looks complete. I see you bailed on the slider bearings it looks like a lot of engineering and time went into the redesign. I like the fabricated gap spacers that is a great idea I might have to steal that. Your engineering, creativity and attention to detail makes this a great thread I appreciate the time you spend sharing the build. If I could only make one recommendation for the shop/garage buy a Slam-Man so when your at the Nth degree of patience at two in the morning you can punch or kick him in the head and no one gets hurt.
Stewart, you cracked me up, a slam man??? That's funny. Seriously though thanks much! Yeah I bailed on the sliders, probably because I failed to get the thing balanced, they probably could have worked. Hopefully this works, otherwise it's back to fixed fenders lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Ok guys, ran into big snag on tilt, only remedy was to modify front part of framerails. It works now but what's everyone's thoughts on frame?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Love your build! The frame rails look great. Pretty much anything goes when it comes to gassers. Having just (finally!) sorted out all the geometry and physics for my own all steel tilt front end, I can feel your pain. Dave

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Love your build! The frame rails look great. Pretty much anything goes when it comes to gassers. Having just (finally!) sorted out all the geometry and physics for my own all steel tilt front end, I can feel your pain. Dave
Thanks Dave! Appreciate it, it's been challenging for sure, I'd love to see yours too

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I like the fix, and it looks great! Had a buddy with a '55 that had interference issues with his frame rails, and I reshaped the ends similar to the drooped look of a '29 Ford frame horn to clearance them. He bought two pairs of repair horns, and we stubbed the outside half on, and plated it inside. Then welded the 2nd pair inside to fit the outside pair.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
I like the fix, and it looks great! Had a buddy with a '55 that had interference issues with his frame rails, and I reshaped the ends similar to the drooped look of a '29 Ford frame horn to clearance them. He bought two pairs of repair horns, and we stubbed the outside half on, and plated it inside. Then welded the 2nd pair inside to fit the outside pair.

I thought about that idea too but I just didn't have the clearance the way the hood edge swings thru that area, I'm thinking a Moon tank to help fill the void and be more a focal point than the rails

201 - 220 of 240 Posts