Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

221 - 240 of 240 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,984 Posts
Just for kicks check out how this guy did it. One of the hugest advantages is that it gets the pivot point lower so that the whole front clip doesn't stick up a mile high when opened, On the couple of tilts I've done I wrestled with that greatly. I wanted the furthest point to be only a couple inches off the ground when fully tilted. It causes other problems like fender bottoms to be skull crackers, but looks far better at full tilt. This guys invention takes care of several problems at once though. And check out the pins to remove the whole clip.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Just for kicks check out how this guy did it. One of the hugest advantages is that it gets the pivot point lower so that the whole front clip doesn't stick up a mile high when opened, On the couple of tilts I've done I wrestled with that greatly. I wanted the furthest point to be only a couple inches off the ground when fully tilted. It causes other problems like fender bottoms to be skull crackers, but looks far better at full tilt. This guys invention takes care of several problems at once though. And check out the pins to remove the whole clip.

Very cool, I wonder how it would work with a steel front

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Very nice work. I have a question the holes in the frame I know they are to reduce weight but with all the weight of that blown injected 392 it looks like a good place to flex under power.

Later,
Kev

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Very nice work. I have a question the holes in the frame I know they are to reduce weight but with all the weight of that blown injected 392 it looks like a good place to flex under power.

Later,
Kev
Thanks Kev, well here's the thing, I thought about that and went way overkill on rail thickness, I would have been fine with 3/16 wall but went 1/4. So needless to say I added some un needed weight. The Hemi will be on a diet though, aluminum heads and mag blower, so it will be lighter than it looks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Needed to sort out front drive stuff so I can finish cutting hole in hood. I'll need to shotpeen this RCD jewelry so it looks more vintage, maybe shot peen and hard anodized it

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The car is really starting to look like a complete car now, even if there's still a lot to do! Looks pretty tough with that blower and big catcher sticking through the hood!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
The car is really starting to look like a complete car now, even if there's still a lot to do! Looks pretty tough with that blower and big catcher sticking through the hood!
Thanks! I can see a tiny speck of light at the end of the tunnel now lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Worked on hood filler panel that stays in place when tilting front end

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Will your finished hood opening have the matching lip of the filler? That's a nice touch to make the car more finished looking! I see so many cars at local shows or strips with really crude looking hood openings! When I did the hood opening on my '63 Falcon with a BBC I bent up a reverse 60 degree lip and welded it all around the opening. Not only looked better, but also stiffened up the hood too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Well if it goes according to plan, yes it will have same look as filler panel. I agree with you, some holes just leave too much on the table, ya gotta finish it nice! I won't start on that detail til I get the blower drive sorted out, I'm not sure if I want the hole to follow contour of pulley or just make it rectangular

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Worst thing ever, and also pretty commonly seen, is the guys who edge the metal with those ugly chrome edge guard! Usually cut at corners to add to the ugly.
I nicely finished edge with a little raised lip looks so good!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Worst thing ever, and also pretty commonly seen, is the guys who edge the metal with those ugly chrome edge guard! Usually cut at corners to add to the ugly.
I nicely finished edge with a little raised lip looks so good!
Oh no kidding. That chrome trim is the worst

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Looks like a winner, gaps are the worst! I treat them like torquing main caps , everyone out till it’s complete! Closer and closer to completing keep at it!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Looks like a winner, gaps are the worst! I treat them like torquing main caps , everyone out till it’s complete! Closer and closer to completing keep at it!
Thanks! It's been a challenge but I'm figuring it out

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
My distributor came in so I can now start figuring out the front part of hole in hood.

221 - 240 of 240 Posts