Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
261 - 280 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Wow that looks great, my only concern from a paint standpoint will it take a coating on that fine edge? If it coats fine I’d stay well away from it with the buffer!
I totally like it though just trying to look ahead
Good question, my painter is Dave Verschave, he owned the Orange Krate 55 and his hood was same but good looking out, thank you

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
I think the lip looks fantastic! Not much of a painter myself, but can't see why it wont take paint. Some tape on it during buffing will protect it I'd think. Nicely done!
Thanks Vall, I haven't painted in 30 years but luckily my pal Dave is doing the paint, he's awesome

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Just my $.02....Your work looks fantastic as always. I'm also concerned about the edge of that lip. Not whether it will be a problem for paint, but whether or not that single thickness will be strong enough to stand up over time. I've got (or will have) folded or hemmed edges on the cut lines of my fenders for this same reason. Dave

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Just my $.02....Your work looks fantastic as always. I'm also concerned about the edge of that lip. Not whether it will be a problem for paint, but whether or not that single thickness will be strong enough to stand up over time. I've got (or will have) folded or hemmed edges on the cut lines of my fenders for this same reason. Dave
Thanks Dave, it's getting braced on bottom. Have you ever seen the Orange Krate 55? If not, Google it. His 55 is the inspiration for my build, he had thousands of street miles, many car shows and over 100 quarter mile passes, most of those hanging the front wheels and dragging rear bumper. His hood was done same way

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Good question, my painter is Dave Verschave, he owned the Orange Krate 55 and his hood was same but good looking out, thank you

I seen the new owner local here but didn’t have a chance to talk about it , definitely a well built car and a phenomenal paint job!
I think by the looks of yours the bar has been raised😎

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
I seen the new owner local here but didn’t have a chance to talk about it , definitely a well built car and a phenomenal paint job!
I think by the looks of yours the bar has been raised
Thanks! Dave's son Al, did my chassis and headers, Dave will be painting it. To raise the bar is not gonna be easy. Imo the Krate is the best gasser I've ever seen, but you gotta see Al's Nova, it's gonna be a statement maker

·
Premium Member
14,061 Posts
Yes, that Krate is about even with the Skakey Puddin 55. Too bad that the both of them guys decided to sell. I don’t think I could have ever done that. Even after all the publicity stopped I would probably have just kept driving off into tomorrow land.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Yes, that Krate is about even with the Skakey Puddin 55. Too bad that the both of them guys decided to sell. I don’t think I could have ever done that. Even after all the publicity stopped I would probably have just kept driving off into tomorrow land.
Agreed. Dave struggled with selling but it allowed him to buy a house in so cal. He is building another car soon

·
Registered
556 Posts
The frontend reinforcement will make for a smooth fit and the blower opening looks industrial all the details are really adding up and starting to stand out. The locator pin on the bottom of the fender was our first attempt to getting the front end to line up during closing but there was just to much movement. We just swapped sides with a small cone on the receiver side to guide the pin, worked well.

My opinion best documented Gasser builds:

• 57 Gasser Build
  • Shakey Puddin / HAMB
  • Quick Trip / HAMB

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
The frontend reinforcement will make for a smooth fit and the blower opening looks industrial all the details are really adding up and starting to stand out. The locator pin on the bottom of the fender was our first attempt to getting the front end to line up during closing but there was just to much movement. We just swapped sides with a small cone on the receiver side to guide the pin, worked well.

My opinion best documented Gasser builds:

• 57 Gasser Build
  • Shakey Puddin / HAMB
  • Quick Trip / HAMB
Thanks Stewart! I think your 57 should be in your list of builds, it's badass

261 - 280 of 297 Posts