Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas here is a question that has been stumping me...I have a set of tribar lights from hoffman group and am not sure if the original generator would provide enough power to use them or if it would blow a fuse. The lights will go inti the bucket with no mods to the bucket but the power use to power output is what's bugging me, do I need to get the alt that looks like a gen from danchuk or will the factory generator push enough volts to the lights without causing harm to the existing wiring??????

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,381 Posts
Mike....How many watts are they?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If your concerned about the stock wiring there is a easy fix, run 2 relays mounted up in the engine compartment. (backside of the radiator support filler panels is a common place )
And use the wires coming from the headlight switch to actuate the relays use 1 for the low beams and 1 for the high beams , that way you can use heavier gauge wiring ( make sure to put a fuse inline ) to supply the relays and heavy gauge wire from the relay to the head lights.

The stock generator may be ok it depends on its condition and any other loads you have added, your driving habits, if you idle a lot with the headlights on and other loads on it may not be able to keep from draining the battery.
Generators typically do not have much output at idle speeds.
Generators supply from 25-30 amps depending if you have the hd one or not ( 57 car with ac and no ps show a 40 amp model availible)

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The watts I am gonna have to look at when I get back out in the garage. I am running the original AC Delco gen with power assist pump, would you recommend 8ga wire for the relays and inline? or maybe 10ga? Pardon if I am having brain farts this class is making my brain hurt so I am having "special person" moments today...so run the wire from the engine harness and splice into the headlight harnes by way of the support panels and run an inline for both high and lows with about a 25 inline??? Sorry for the dumb question brain just hurts today..lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts