Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '57 bel air with a 4 control vent system (vent, defrost, heat, inside/outside air). In a few months, I'm planning on getting the VA Gen 4 kit with the electronic controls, and I would like to get all of my existing cables moving smoothly so I don't put additional strain on the motors that move the cables.

I was looking yesterday at the cable routing and was puzzled as to how is the best way to lubricate the cables, especially the vents on each side of the car that runs through the front fenders and flows through the vents by the kick panels. I can see the flap inside the duct, and it moves when I press the lever on the controls, but it is kind of hard. I can't see where the cable attaches to the actual assembly to open and close the vents.

Can anyone tell me a good way to lube this system?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
49,940 Posts
I can't see where the cable attaches to the actual assembly to open and close the vents.
The cable attaches to the top side the flapper on the ducts. Hard to get to with the fenders on but can be done, since i just installed mine a couple of months ago with the fenders on. I installed new cables.

You might try either spraying WD-40 in the cable ends or some cable lube.
Terry

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
The VA system does not move any cables. The only cables are the fresh air vents and you do that by hand. New cables will work easier for you.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts