Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday All

I need to replace my ignition switch but don't have the the key to enable selection of the lock position.

My doors have been changed so i don't have a barrel to remove and copy.
Any ideas?

I don't want to damage the housing if possible as i have a new barrel and key that matches the doors. (came with car).

Also obtaining parts takes a while to reach Australia

Cheers Kiwiwal

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I could pick the lock in a few minutes, if you don't have the patience to try that get your hands on a bunch of old GM keys and try them all, with a little jiggling you might just find one that will turn the lock...
Other options are Locksmith or drill...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Kiwiwal,

Mate I had the same issue, Had to get a locksmith out and remove it for me. Cost about $70.00 from memory.

B.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys
Thanks for the info
have tried every key (mates as well) with no luck.
looks like I will have to try the locksmith option.

If I have no luck with the locksmith in Bunbury WA what was the one you used in perth as only 1 1/2 hours away ( nice drive for the old girl)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Hay Kiwiwal, as DS said you can drill out the lock assy. I have done it with good results. Best way is to have new parts on hand to see were to drill. start small and increase in drill size. Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
55 Carmen
When drilled out do you only need to replace the barrel or will you damage the housing also.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yes if careful you can save the switch. As hotrodder said stop short and pick the pieces out. Took some pictures of old switch so you could see inside. It would help to have new parts to see whats involved. Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys.

Nervously drilled out old ignition and fitted new barrel.
All worked out well.

Cheers

Kiwiwal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts