Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I have wanted a 57 Nomad all of my adult life. I have an opportunity to purchase a 57 Nomad project which appears to have most everything(on first inspection)included(trim, seats,tailgate,engine,trans,glass,etc.) It needs at a minimum new quarters, door repairs, and a set of fenders. Roof appears to be in excellent condition. This car has been stored indoors for at least 25 years.

Any ballpark ideas on value in it's current state?

Is it worth restoring or is a parts car?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Snapshots....

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Project

Ten times the job if the car was intact. Guarantee it is not all there. Better you than me.

Dangerous Joe :viking:

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,811 Posts
I recently was asked about a similar project, it had quarters on it. The price was 5-6K and was to have all the parts. This one has had the quarter skins removed. Problem is that the way they were removed, like the factory installed them now creates a problem. No 57 full replacement NOMAD quarters are made in the aftermarket. The top 12 inches are 100% unique to the 57 Nomad. So you are going to have a major hurdle finding those sections.

Time and money as you know is the way to excise your dream......some would say nightmare......not me however.

Mikey

·
8,811 Posts
What would an original pair of full cut off quarters be worth? I know where there is a set.
Nomad? or just 2 dr?

Mikey

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Tropturq said:
Lots and lots of money, plus mad skills needed for this one.
What he said... Starting and not having both, will cost you, just ask me.

Charlie

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would the repo quarters for a55 nomad work on this? might be good for someone doing a 55 nomad
I would never use these parts for a 55 Nomad. I would attempt to restore this first. Would hardtop quarters be adaptable? What is it worth in parts?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What would an original pair of full cut off quarters be worth? I know where there is a set.
Are they Nomad and are they available?.....may push me over the top on this one.....

·
Premium Member
14,871 Posts
I would never use these parts for a 55 Nomad. I would attempt to restore this first. Would hardtop quarters be adaptable? What is it worth in parts?

Keep in mind that the hardtop quarters don't even fit a hardtop correctly. With that in mind you still need the upper section of the Nomad quarters since they are quite a bit different than the hardtop. As far as value I couldn't begin to guess without seeing many more and much better pictures.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The guy who has this car had a set of NOS quarters when he started this job, but they "came up missing" so he gave up on it. 25+ years ago.

·
Registered
65,636 Posts
buyers market, look for something better. money pit comes to mind. :anim_25:

·
8,811 Posts
Think of the quarters this way. From the front of the quarter stainless and above the B/A insert to the tail fin, nothing from a hardtop, convertible or sedan are the same. You may be able to locate a pair of USED Full Quarters from a 57 2 dr wagon (any model but 210 or B/A are best) and make them work. Even then, some of the attaching points at the top are unique to the NOMAD. Those unique points are MISSING ON THE NOMAD

Mikey

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hopefully you have just this one project and lots of time. It will be a challenge but rewarding as it goes along . Missing parts are your biggest obstacle. Only a few years ago I let go of my 57 Nomad project that was a complete car needing the usual patches for 8500. I feel there are project cars out there and eventually they show up in family estates. Many times health issues force dream cars to be sold. I hope you have no regrets diving into such a project . However I do commend you for saving another Nomad. :anim_25:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts