Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, me and my pop have a project we will be working on together it is a 57 nomad 2dr belair . one question is it has a factory one piece front bumper , usally the bolt to gether and the main bumper is 3 pieces , i heard that this is a out west thing that they used:confused: , if you know about it chime in id like to know more i hear they are somwhat rare ..thanks

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
It is known as a california one piece front bumper, rare? Depends on whos opinion you hear. They aren`t as common as the 3 pc bumpers. Is it really only from california? I can`t say for sure on that.
Terry

·
Registered
91 Posts
front bumper

I have a 57 4dr. sedan and it has a one piece front bumper,as my 57 2dr. hrdtp has a three piece front bumper.I like the three piece for looks.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I was lucky last May as I found the 6 main bumper pieces for my '56 at a swap for $150. They are not show quality but they are not to bad. Still need the brackets and bumperettes. Got some rusty ones I'll use for cores for bumperettes.
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I'm not aware of an aftermarket supplier of single piece bumpers. My guess is most manufacturers are overseas and shipping the shorter pieces is cheaper. So it's a business decision not to make the one piece.

Mounting is the same. The center mounting brackets are riveted to an original single piece bumper. By now many have been replated and the rivets have been removed and replaced with ordinary bolts.

The California cars were those assembled in Oakland and Los Angeles (which I have heard was actually in Van Nuys).

Another item which I have not found to be reproduced is the Grille Guard, an optional horizontal chrome bar fitted above the front bumper guards on the 55, and probably the 56.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bumpers

I bought a front and rear smoothies for a 55 project which are 1 piece without holes in Moultrie Ga. two weeks ago at a swap meet. They came from "The Bumper Boyz" out of Ca. but put a new battery in your pacemaker when you call for a price because they are pricey. I had one piece cores and they were 1300.00. I can look up the number off an invoice you are intrested or you and find the number thru google.
Thanks, Neil
(334) 567-3474

·
Registered
1 Posts
The one pice 57 front bumpers were not a California exclusive. Canadian cars built in Oshawa Ontario also came with the one piece units.
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts