Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting a 57 Power Pack air cleaner to dry element, for a Holley carb. I already have an air cleaner top housing to work with, but was planning on fabricating the base from scratch. I was not planning on trying to use a stock base, as I figured I would have to cut it up so much for the Holley that it would not be worthwhile. However, as I get further along with the fabrication, the shape and offset of the base might be closer than I expected. I will have to cut out the center of the base and weld in a Holley (actually Q-jet) flange from a 69 chevy air cleaner, to mate up with my Holley. Here is my question:

Aside from the size of the hole in the center, are the 2bbl and 4bbl bases for 57 the same outside diameter and the same height? If so, all I need to do is cut out the center of a 2bbl base, in the area shaded in Yellow in my attached photo, and graft in the Holley size center. If this is true, does anyone have a spare 2bbl base they can sell me? If not, does anyone have a 4bbl base they can part with? Thanks!

Driver.

Attachments

·
Administrator
70,785 Posts
I have fitted a base on a 4 barrel carby a little different to what you have.

Basically I re fabricated a standard base for a normal air cleaner so that it would adapt to the top half of the air cleaner.
By doing this it gives you the clearance under the hood.

:anim_25:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.