Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I seeing this correctly, 57 wheel openings on a 55? Honestly, it looks pretty good to me.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
13,873 Posts
56 type also, and I kinda like it too. The wagon wheels don’t look right on it though. Pretty cool looking car. Chevy should have done that, because it looks much more balanced.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Maybe it's the wheels but I think the openings are located a bit too high, too close to the quarter panel molding. I think it would look better if the 56 or 57 opening was mounted a bit lower.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
To me it also seems as if the opening is extended farther to the rear than a exact 56 opening would be but that might be a illusion great looking car I agree on not liking the wheels that much.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,880 Posts
I think a car looks lots better (and more balanced) IF the front and rear wheel well openings are 'consistently designed/shapes'.. with the only exception being to put '55 Nomad rear wheel openings on ANY car for tire clearance.. :)

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
I think those are 1956 type openings, which are a bit larger than the 1957 openings.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing what it would look like to take a front fender wheel opening and graft it in to use the exact same shape/size for the rear

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
How about a full radiused opening. a la Buick?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think we all agree its really difficult to make so many changes to the stock body design and have it look pleasing, but it seems that it was done here, but not many familiar with tri-5s are going to like all of those mods. I agree the 57 wheel openings would have been better, and maybe 2" shorter rear wheels. Overall nicely done, check the reflection in the trunk lid. A lot of high dollar builds seem to run low on cash by the time they get to paint, but not this one. No distortion, crooked lines, or fuzzy edges.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,880 Posts
I like those Olds wheel well openings... :)

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I'm one who likes '55 Chevy rear wheel openings. But if I was going to change them I'd either use '55 Nomad rear openings, or use front fender openings grafted to the rears.
It is a high end, gorgeous build though! Even if I don't like the wheel/tires.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
It's hard to tell by looking at the picture on my phone, but it appears to have 56/57 rocker panels on it also. Could be that it's a 56/57 body with 55 rear quarter sections grafted on and a 55 front end.

·
Registered
922 Posts
No "B" pillar and no hardtop stainless side window moldings. Could it have started life as a post car? Very interesting. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts