Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an inner fender for my son's 57 that is straight and rot free but rusty and some paint. So in order to use it, it will need to be blasted. Around here, really hard to find a blaster. Near impossible. So I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and use reproduction inner fenders. Anyone have any experience with these reproduction inner fenders, brand, fit, price?

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
Do you have a powder coater near you?? if so have them blast and powder coat them satin black
or just bite the bullet and hand him a grinder with a 80 grit flap wheel and start sanding

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
I have repro inner fenders on my '57. You can buy them as holed or unholed. I chose unholed because I was going for a custom look, and it would save me a bunch of work welding all of the unwanted holes. The downside was, I had to locate, mark and drill a bunch of mounting holes. Fitment is good, no complaints. I spray painted mine satin black, and sprayed the underside with RaptorLiner.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
So I have an inner fender for my son's 57 that is straight and rot free but rusty and some paint. So in order to use it, it will need to be blasted. Around here, really hard to find a blaster. Near impossible. So I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and use reproduction inner fenders. Anyone have any experience with these reproduction inner fenders, brand, fit, price?
A less expensive option would be to buy a sandblaster from Harbor Freight and blast them yourself.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, where I live, the houses are small, dead next to each other, or you share the house (called a twin around these parts), we are really on top of one another. Blasting here is simply not possible.

·
Premium Member
15,014 Posts
did you consider the powder coater option there has to be one within an hours driving distance of you.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Unfortunately, where I live, the houses are small, dead next to each other, or you share the house (called a twin around these parts), we are really on top of one another. Blasting here is simply not possible.
You might consider using a wire wheel and/or flapper disk to remove as much rust as you can then use Rust Converter on both sides. Once it dries paint with a rust inhibiting paint.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did you consider the powder coater option there has to be one within an hours driving distance of you.
I did but the issue I have with the powder coating is that I did some of that with my car and some of it did not hold up. Then, try getting that stuff off and repainting. It’s a bear.

·
Premium Member
15,014 Posts
I've never had it fail and if I did I would take it back to the coater and request a repair
At the very least they could do the blasting for you

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Well, do you have air? I used my next-door neighbors air compressor and did my seats (bench and backs) with glass beads, my Eastwood vacuum blaster and trailer. Of course his drive looked like a rainbow with the overshoot of the beads. I've still have some beads left. Also, I got inner and outer fenders from Jay Hammond.
Tire Wheel Plant Tarpaulin Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1957 2 door sedan 210, (running) & 1957 2 door B/A hardtop (apart)[
857 Posts
The places that sell grave monuments place a stencil over the stone and sandblast, You might check one of those places to see if they would blast them for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts