Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing out the gas tank and lines on my 57, Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here it goes. I bought the kit from Ecklers with tank, sending unit , oring gasket, etc... The 4" estimated hose length and around 1-3/4" diameter that connects the 2 filler tubes to put fuel in the tank was brittle and cracked. I can order one from Ecklers for around $25. Does it have to be a special hose? Could I use use a section of a radiator hose with the right ID? Probably cheaper and I don't have to wait a week or more for shipping.

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
11,240 Posts
Try ol 55 east coast chevy. they have two alternatives, one a reproduction and the other a replacement, specific for the application. One costs less then the other. You don't want a non gas contact line shedding little pieces of rubber into your tank and clogging up the works. Also, if the tank came with a rubber gasket for the sender, throw it away and get a cork gasket. The o ring you got may or may not work. Its sort of a crap shoot when using a repro tank and original fill tube. Play it by ear. Some have been too loose, and others too tight.

Do a search on this site for gas tank installs as there are a couple of things you should know, mostly about the pick up and getting the fuel lines on the pickup including using the correct copper washers for the pick up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try ol 55 east coast chevy. they have two alternatives, one a reproduction and the other a replacement, specific for the application. One costs less then the other. You don't want a non gas contact line shedding little pieces of rubber into your tank and clogging up the works. Also, if the tank came with a rubber gasket for the sender, throw it away and get a cork gasket. The o ring you got may or may not work. Its sort of a crap shoot when using a repro tank and original fill tube. Play it by ear. Some have been too loose, and others too tight.

Do a search on this site for gas tank installs as there are a couple of things you should know, mostly about the pick up and getting the fuel lines on the pickup including using the correct copper washers for the pick up.
Thanks!!!!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,977 Posts
I bought the kit from Ecklers with tank, sending unit , oring gasket, etc... The 4" estimated hose length and around 1-3/4" diameter that connects the 2 filler tubes to put fuel in the tank was brittle and cracked. I can order one from Ecklers for around $25. Does it have to be a special hose? Could I use use a section of a radiator hose with the right ID? Probably cheaper and I don't have to wait a week or more for shipping.

Thank you,
I don't remember seeing a hose on mine...Just a solid pipe with an O ring...What model do you have?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Seems I remember the 57 having a hose. Just go to an industrial place that makes hydraulic hoses and they will probably have a scrap piece they will sell you. It for sure will be fuel proof.

·
Registered
317 Posts
'57 passenger cars have a vent hose connecting the tank to the upper fill tube, and a larger short hose connecting the upper and lower fill tubes together (and an O-ring where the lower fill tube fits into the tank).
They must be able to handle repeated contact with gasoline, so I wouldn't consider using radiator or heater hoses.
I stole this picture from the Speedway Motors web site:
GasTankParts.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Marine grace fuel filler hose. It’s the correct size, it bends nice without kinking, and it’s designed for fuel. Hydraulic lines are not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts