Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 57 with a big block and its running hot, I'm wondering if exhaust size mite be an issue. so here is what I have, original 68 Corvette high performance block and heads, headers, with 21/2 inch pipes off the collectors, was thinking of going to 3 inch pipes. its also got a new griffin rad. electric water pump and fans, 180 thermostat. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I have a 57 with a big block and its running hot, I'm wondering if exhaust size mite be an issue. so here is what I have, original 68 Corvette high performance block and heads, headers, with 21/2 inch pipes off the collectors, was thinking of going to 3 inch pipes. its also got a new griffin rad. electric water pump and fans, 180 thermostat. Any input would be appreciated.
what you calling hot?? Temps??

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gentlemen, I appreciate your input, but this engine does not like running in the 200 dreds, with out getting into a long explanation engine is happier when its running in the 190 region. I've been messing with the temp thing all summer and have got the temp down to where its drive able, or better put where I'm comfortable with it. but if I can make it better I'm in. so would increasing exhaust size lower engine operating temp.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving day

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
You would be better off putting the money in radiator fan fan shroud or electric fan if you are running a electric fan they are not all equal some boost 3000cfm but are outperformed by lesser rated cfm fans like Spal products for instance.Aluminum radiators with 2 row cores & 1.125-1.250" tubes will often cool better than 3 & 4 row core units.If your engine runs poorly above 200* maybe you are having other issues with fuel or ignition systems.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I completely understand the fan shroud thing, I have a aluminum fan shroud with 2 10 inch fans with the highest output I could find, shroud also has 2 re leaf baffles in it . I have a friend that I helped build a 51 chevy and he has no fan shroud and is always complaining about overheating. I always tell him get yourself a shroud or quit complaining, LOL

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
11,036 Posts
My BBC 454 runs under 210 with a 6 blade fan and no shroud. I love the look of being shroudless. To me no shroud seems to scream hot rod. Don't know why, but it does.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I completely understand the fan shroud thing, I have a aluminum fan shroud with 2 10 inch fans with the highest output I could find, shroud also has 2 re leaf baffles in it . I have a friend that I helped build a 51 chevy and he has no fan shroud and is always complaining about overheating. I always tell him get yourself a shroud or quit complaining, LOL
there is actually a thing with TOO much fan. Can push the air through so fast it doesn't cool the fluid pushing through e the radiator enough before returning to the engine.

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
11,036 Posts
there is actually a thing with TOO much fan. Can push the air through so fast it doesn't cool the fluid pushing through e the radiator enough before returning to the engine.
No, that's impossible. The more airflow, the more heat transfer.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,145 Posts
there has been no mention of the tune up. timing jetting etc all come in to play here. retarded timing can make a bunch of heat especially in a BBC. so, what is your idle timing and total timing with and without vac advance? what carb and how much jet?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts