Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down to my last major repair on my wifes 57, but ran into a snag. Purchased a full qtr for a vert/HT to use on my sedan. Supplier said it would need to be trimmed to fit a 2 dr sedan. With the profile notch below the window being 5" or so longer, I would like to have some pics or measurements on how to trim to fit. Does the notch area need to be trimmed completely out? Really don't need that area repaired anyway. Would like to know how the experts do it. This is my first 57 full body off restoration. This is my wifes dream car and would like to do it right. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I found out from talking to some people, cut around the crease. you can use a hardtop quarter on a sedan but you must leave the crease on the sedan, the rest of the quarter is the same. cut at the red line and you should be good. just think it through. jeff:anim_25:

Attachments

·
Registered
38,739 Posts
Maybe not the best angle on the photo, but you should get the idea here.

Basically, the beltline dip and the crease that goes with it is much further forward on a hardtop than on a sedan. So you save the upper forward corner of the sedan quarter, and cut the new quarter to match.

Additionally, the quarter window area is different between the hardtop and sedan, so you trim the top of the quarter panel to match in that area.

You can buy a 57 sedan full quarter. A lot of talk on this forum about 55 sedan full quarters. The bad things about the 55 sedan quarter don't apply to a 57 quarter directly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, for the info. Really eased my mind. I was close on how I thought I would do it. I was going to cut an angled cut from window area behind crease to door jam. I'll do the straight line cut to trim area than to jam. That will get part of the seam under the trim. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.