Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much covers. After seeing how much vendors want for this I'm inspired to crank up the table saw and router table. anybody got the exact dimensions of the boards and the routered edges?

Tom

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that guy has it nailed down tight. Thanks for taking time to respond.

·
Registered
483 Posts
One thing to watch out for is if you have relocated the fuel tank from out of the cab to between the rear frame rails - the in bed filler on most ready to install tanks (mine included) is centered - there is no easy way to center a plank using the standard dimensions. Mine was done many years before I bought it - the installer chose to relocate a 7 1/4 to the center, the 5's against it - cutting differnt widths to come back into balance with 9 (ROUGHLY as you will need to make sure you have correct gaps between bolt and wood - 4 1/4, 6 1/2, 6 3/8, 5, 7 1/4, 5, 6 3/8, 6 1/2, 4 1/4) instead of 8 planks - which also required drilling new holes in the cross sills. Looking underneath I am sure he chose to do it this way so that he was not trying to drill a new hole halfway in an existing! Could have gone down to 7 planks - then rather than need one more metal strip than is in a kit you would have 1 extra! - BUT the wider the plank the more likely to warp!

personally I would have stayed stock dimension and just cut a squared door type filler in rather than the round cool cap on center.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John. I never would have thought of that in advance.

For the forseeable future I'm leaving the tank in the cab. I've got it sealed up pretty good, very rarely smell gas anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts